Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight can be pulled with a FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:22 PM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much weight can be pulled with a FLHTC

I am wanting to build a trailer and was wanting to know the weight to start with. I have check some of the other trailer sites. Most of the trailer start at 150 that sounds a little heavy. If anyone one has any plans they would like to share would help also. Thanks for any help MDodson

Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 PM
continentaldrifter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How much weight can be pulled with a FLHTC

Hello, im a certified welder and custom interior steel fabricator, and find myself to be very efficient with my money. For a little over 600bux, i decided to buy this trailer http://piggybacker.stehltow.com/ here are the reasons why:

1- couldnt buy ALL the components for 600. if you think you can build it for that much you forgot to add in the time for your labor.

2- it weighs about 164 lbs.

3- comes with a title.

Every time someone asks about a trailer for behind a bike i'll post them. They were nice to deal with and have a quality product for a more than fair price.

BTW...naw, 150 isnt that heavy, i will tell you my set-up rang in at 1550lbs (combined total,bike, me and loaded trailer)
Great luck with your search and if you build your own,please post pics. Thanks,Anthony

Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM
adlerx
Road Captain

I saw a guy pulling a full sized tent trailer (not a motorcycle size, I know the difference!) with one. I pulled one similar to the one above, a harbor freight one with a cartop carrier with my 100/110 Road Glide, totally loaded about 400 lbs. Yes, I knew it was there. I loved racing people UPHILL pulling that trailer though!!! LOL, shoulda seen the look on their faces as I blew by them!!

here's a pic from a few years ago

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...x/1e273f13.jpg

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

the trailer I pull is weighed out to be 350-400 lbs when fully loaded, It is a pop-up tent trailer, it was built useing independant suspension, and electric brakes. This thing pulls like a dream.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

True story, one day I saw a guy pulling a small flat bed trailer loaded with mulch with a motorcycle. He was cruising right along like nothing!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well at one time in the 50's -60's time frame, they were using 45 and 74 C.I.
service cars (trikes) to pull in full size cars to the shop for repairs.
This meant the weight of the car dolly and the car on the hitch.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 PM
MDodson
Road Master

Thanks for the info continentaldrifter. I may also turn to buying one. Would not be a bad ride from North Alabama to SC to pick one up..

Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, it is not as big a deal if your bike can pull the trailer, but you do want to be able to stop it.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

As for what they,ll pull, almost anything you can put on the hitch.A good friend pulled a old 14 ft camping trailer about 10 miles with a 76 flh,shocks were bottomed out,but it pulled it.Only problem was stopping,took about 200 ft from 30?mph.Like djamann said it,ll move it but stopping is a real PIA

Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pull a small motorcycle pop-up with a 06 Road King. Just the basic stage 1 set up airkit, SE slip on and download. My trailer packed weighs in at just over 280lbs. packed right and ensuring you dont have too much or too little tongue wieght is the key. I ususally figure about 30lbs tongue weight and have had no issues. Takes alittle getting used to the increased stopping distance, but just knowing its there you can ajust in no time. I have pulled mine through the mountains of Vermont and some good hills in Connecticut and never had problems with power

Good Luck

Frank

Quick Reply: How much weight can be pulled with a FLHTC