Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Legend - Green bikes are bad luck??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley Legend - Green bikes are bad luck??

I'd never own a green motorcycle....for me it goes back to something my old man said before he left this shitty world. "Never paint or ride a green bike boy", soI won't. He thought it was bad luck, and that's good enough for me.

My truck is green...so go figure.

I am one of those guys that thinks black is the only color for a motorcycle. Just my preference....

Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 AM
JamieCarr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Green Bikes = Bad Charma

Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Nice bike King. I had the same color on my '99. Great bike and still running strong. Saw the guy I sold it to not that long ago. He's still loving it. Superstition.

BTW King96. I have a bottle of touch up paint for that color. If you want it let me know. No charge.

Name:  IMG_0176-1.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Thirdup
Tourer

Over the years I've heard both the "green car" and the "military bike" stories used as origins to this superstision.

I did find a passage from a book on bikers that went into a brief explaination:

.....when World War II began, motorcycle production rose again as it had in WWI. Small cars had taken over the duties performed by motorcycles in World War I, but motorcycles were still widely used for reconnaissance and communications.
In fact, this has led to a superstition among modern bikers that green Harley-Davidson motorcycles are bad luck. The most common military motorcycle carrying important papers on the front line in World War II was the Harley-Davidson, decked out in green military paint. The riders were sitting ducks, so many riders today consider riding a green Harley will bring a similar fate.

source - "The Brotherhood: Inside the Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs" by Arthur Veno; page 25.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok then, no green bikes. [:'(]

Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: IronHead2822

OK, I was checking with the MOCO Customer Service to get the paint code for my Mystique Green 05' FLHTPI. The very nice lady told me that Green is an unlucky color. In fact she told me that HD riders are very superstitious about Green and that is why you don’t see a lot of them on the road or offered by the company.

Can anyone tell me where this comes from? Am I doomed? Should I repaint the bike, LOL? I really like the deep green color and think it stands out as something different from all the other colors currently available.
Urban legend. This one was never any problem for me, & a year or two after I sold it a friend ran into the buyer. Put him on the phone to me & he couldn't stop talkin' about how happy he was with it..............

[IMG]local://upfiles/37940/F7CD4AD36700465EBB11BDFD2581A905.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the real story on green. This is the REAL DEAL not some urban legend.
The thing is, the green bikes are so beautiful that they actually distract some weaker minded individuals from the job at hand, namely riding.
This can cause accidents. So if you are a weak minded type, don't buy a green one, they are way too beautiful for you!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

This must explain why Harley offers so few bikes with green paint.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
ricoman
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

comes from racing. Green has always been considered an unlucky color for racing. up until the time that Jim Clark won Indy in a British Racing Green Lotus. Every once in awhile you see a green car.
British Racing Green, very common on MG's, Triumphs, Jags, etc. that won a lot of races in their day
Maybe unlucky -at least for the British Lucas electrics!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,786 Likes on 1,082 Posts

ORIGINAL: IronHead2822

OK, I was checking with the MOCO Customer Service to get the paint code for my Mystique Green 05' FLHTPI. The very nice lady told me that Green is an unlucky color. In fact she told me that HD riders are very superstitious about Green and that is why you don’t see a lot of them on the road or offered by the company.

Can anyone tell me where this comes from? Am I doomed? Should I repaint the bike, LOL? I really like the deep green color and think it stands out as something different from all the other colors currently available.

Don't worry if you put a STUPID little bell on your bike it will all be good.[&:]

Quick Reply: Harley Legend - Green bikes are bad luck??