Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to tie down a ultra when trailering long distances

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 PM
singlepin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where to tie down a ultra when trailering long distances

this is how mine came from the factory, just 2 straps to the crash bars

[IMG]local://upfiles/46021/F5E04D4EFEB2487792337D24CF85F55B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I trailer my bike about 10,000 miles year for the past several years.

Don't strap your bike down using the handle bars or front struts at the axle, you need to keep the entire bike from moving up and down. This up and down movement without a rider will damage the suspension. The bike needs to be secured into a heavy duty wheel chock

Here is how I strapmy Ultradown as recommended by Harley and numerous trailer manufacturers.

I have a 12' enclosed Featherlite motorcycle trailer.I use a bike-pro wheel chock. Tie down both sides in front using hog ties and rarchet straps. I tie the hog ties around the triple tree across the crash bar and hook the ratchet strap to the hog tie on each side, snug it down good, you don't want any up and down movement in the front end. If the bike is allowed to move up and down it will damage something, or a strap will come loose. No......you won't damage the front suspension by cranking down good and snug, about half way or just before it bottoms out.!! You will damage it if it is allowed to move while trailering.

In the rear I attach the ratchet straps directly to the reat passenger foot rest, snug enough to keep the rear end from bouncing and the bike from moving forward.

I use an additional set of straps attached to the front foot rest and tie down on the rear trailer tie downs. This will keep the bike out of your car if you hit something.

See enclosed trailering article: http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index...&Itemid=43

Hope this helps.

Steve

Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Mullenix53
Advanced

There were six of us went out to Sturgis in 06.
I wouldn't make that trip with out a chase truck for the God forbids. Thank God we didn't have any.
Everyone was thankful I insisted on taking my truck and trailer for extra haulings though.
You think anyone volunteered to share the driving?[:@]
For that reason, my bike E. Glide classic got trailered both ways.
I soft tie'd around the lower triple tree on the front and the crash bars in front of the bags on the rear.
One thing to watch out for, even with soft ties on the front, I guess because of the long distance, even the soft ties left marks in the aluminum upper slider on my front forks. So be careful and certain of what you wrap around what to tie down with. If it is up to me in the future, I'll ride everywhere I go.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[sm=icon_quiet.gif]

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't strap your bike down using the handle bars or front struts at the axle, you need to keep the entire bike from moving up and down. This up and down movement without a rider will damage the suspension.
How does the motorcycle know whether there is a rider on it or not? I thought suspension was designed with up and down movement in mind.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 PM
motorcyclerescue
Novice

Front wheel in chock, 2 Racheting straps on crash bar pulling down & out,
2 straps on rear foot pegs pulling down & out.
just check every 200 miles or so you'll be fine

David
Motorcycle Rescue Inc.
Motorcycle Towing & Transportation

Old 01-19-2008, 11:23 PM
capt42a
Road Master

This is the method I've used.
capt42a

ORIGINAL: soos

This is how I do it. Ratchet straps only, no cam locks. All straps pulling forward into wheel chock and no strap higher than the passenger footboard bracket.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/C2B93F14754F49E5B52434602C73C3E6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/3FC48641B9B34E88BE0C1C2CC9CDFD76.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/BD69E15FA34847689B95D5008DD9CD08.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/CB79D36DE87A4E578F187F7591B015FE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/6BF4C032B8354B7A9633B4FA0333C6D1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 PM
wolfjack
Advanced

I have hauled my EG many miles without any problems. I tied as dealer suggested . Front crash bars each side and rear crash bars in front of saddle bags using wheel chock, rachet straps and soft ties...Never should you tie to handle bars according to dealer...

Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteveO

I trailer my bike about 10,000 miles year for the past several years.

Don't strap your bike down using the handle bars or front struts at the axle, you need to keep the entire bike from moving up and down. This up and down movement without a rider will damage the suspension. The bike needs to be secured into a heavy duty wheel chock

Here is how I strapmy Ultradown as recommended by Harley and numerous trailer manufacturers.

I have a 12' enclosed Featherlite motorcycle trailer.I use a bike-pro wheel chock. Tie down both sides in front using hog ties and rarchet straps. I tie the hog ties around the triple tree across the crash bar and hook the ratchet strap to the hog tie on each side, snug it down good, you don't want any up and down movement in the front end. If the bike is allowed to move up and down it will damage something, or a strap will come loose. No......you won't damage the front suspension by cranking down good and snug, about half way or just before it bottoms out.!! You will damage it if it is allowed to move while trailering.

In the rear I attach the ratchet straps directly to the reat passenger foot rest, snug enough to keep the rear end from bouncing and the bike from moving forward.

I use an additional set of straps attached to the front foot rest and tie down on the rear trailer tie downs. This will keep the bike out of your car if you hit something.

See enclosed trailering article: http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index...&Itemid=43

Hope this helps.

Steve
Hmmmm.....according to "Singlepin's" pic, somebody needs to tell the factory about this suspension thing.

I use two straps around forks where fender attaches and pull straight forward into chock, two straps offframe near triple tree straight out and down (about 45 degree angle). two straps off pass. floorboards pulled back (compression straps are fine for the back).....soft ties everywhere.
I use one set of 2"Big Daddy's off the frame and less expensive straps everywhere else. The ones off the frame keepit upright and receive the most stress, the others justkeep itfrom movingback andforth. Check out Big Daddy's straps herehttp://www.pingelonline.com/tie_downs.htm
I have hauled one several thousand miles this way on several different occasions, in a couple of different trailers, and the bike has yet to move! (I really believe the two Big Daddy straps would hold it all by themselves, even through an accident....and no, I have not been paid to advertise for Big Daddy, nor do I know anyone associated with them.....I do know a great product when I see one!)

Old 01-20-2008, 01:27 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to tie down a ultra when trailering long distances