Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander vs stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:40 PM
wireman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander vs stage 1

I recently put a pair of Python slip ons on my '98 RK. At that time, the parts guy sold me a Power Commander in place of having the ECM recalibrated by the dealer. I installed the pipes and the Power Commander only to find out that the only maps available for my bike INCLUDE having the Stage One recalibration done. I contacted Dyno Jet and they basically said, oh well. When I contacted the dealer to take it in for the Stage One recalibration, they said that they won't do it with the Power Commander installed. The Power Commander made a big difference, so what the deal? Does the Power Commander override the ECM so that the Stage One recal is insignificant?

Old 01-16-2006, 05:47 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander vs stage 1

The PC piggybacks your ECM and all the dealer has to do is unplug the big plug and map the ECM then.No need to remove it at all.

The PC should have the capabilities to custom tune the injection with ease even without the download from the dealer, only thing is you can't raise the rev limit that the download will do. The download shouldn't make a difference other than that.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

I did not think you needed the stage one download when you used a Power Commander. I know you don't with the SERT. There are a lot of people here running the PCIII and I'm sure they used it in lace of the stage 1. You will get some answers here soon. And as I tell everyone in these posts "THE HARLEY DOWNLOAD IS CRAP!!!!!!

Terry

Old 01-16-2006, 07:24 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason you need the download is because everyone waste their money on it and then decides to go the smart way with a programmer. They SHOULD have a map without the download being used, but seems they didn't bother.

The PCIII modifies the program that's in the ECM. I would take the $150 for the download and put it towards having the bike dyno tuned and not waste it on a download. This way you will get better performance and the most bang for your buck.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 PM
2006streetglide2006
Cruiser

You need to listen to CHEYENNE on this.....

Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

The reason you need the download is because everyone waste their money on it and then decides to go the smart way with a programmer. They SHOULD have a map without the download being used, but seems they didn't bother.

The PCIII modifies the program that's in the ECM. I would take the $150 for the download and put it towards having the bike dyno tuned and not waste it on a download. This way you will get better performance and the most bang for your buck.

Everyone repeat after me......JUST SAY NO TO THE HARLEY DOWNLOAD

Terry

Old 01-17-2006, 12:55 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power Commander is coming out with a new download that will also change the RPM limiter to 6200 RPM. It's due out anytime.

Steve

Old 01-17-2006, 10:32 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: terryt1955
Everyone repeat after me......JUST SAY NO TO THE HARLEY DOWNLOAD

Terry
[sm=dontgetit.gif]

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheyenne, Terry and myself always the same thing over and over again. Remember download means bad running bike. SERT & PCIII and dyno tune mean best running bike enough said. Don't let the dealership talk you in to running these downloads.
ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

i just got back from the dealer here and the salesman told me to avoid the HD Download, because it is incompatible (-able?) with the '06 motor--he recommended the PC. I was going to waste a billion dollars on an S & S 124" "Hot set up kit", but for 1/6 the price can get the stage 1 or 2 big bore kit.
Wisely I took the wife to hear this sage advice. We probably don't need 120 HP.

Quick Reply: Power Commander vs stage 1