Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 AM
HarleyNewbie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions?????

Hello Gentlemen,

Glad to be part of this fine forum! Well, after many years of riding sport bikes, today I'm going to close the deal on an 08 Black Pearl Street Glide with cruise. It's an amazing bike and it's my first Harley!!! I've been lurking around this forum for about a year now so of course the parts bug hit me immediately! I'm going to dump a couple more thousand into parts and accessories. So with that being said, I have a few questions for you before I head to the dealer. Question one, I'm putting on Vance and Hines Ovals. I really like the look and sound. With that being said, I'm wondering if I should just go slip ons or headers and slip ons? Is there a difference? Question two, I'm putting on the Stage 1 kit. Should I go with the race tuner or would I be fine without it? I truly appreciate your input! Other than than that I'm going for all the chrome goodies!!!!!!

I'm looking forward to finally being a member of this great forum and of course, being a Harley owner!

Thanks again!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie Questions?????

All I can tell you is that I went with the sert, stage 1 and the screamin eagle pipes and my new Ultra rides real nice.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 AM
shortleg
Tourer

Go with SERT and slip ons for now.
Youcan always change when the money
and the time are there.
Shortleg[Dave]

Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Congrats on the new bike. You are gonna love it. I'm no expert wrench, but from what I have been told by guys who are, putting a SERT or any fuel management system on a stock engine is just not worth the investment. You will sqeeze a few extra ponies out of it, but not much more than you would get from the Harley download. Also, I see alot of guys with fuel management systems do nothing but complain about this, that, or the other thing just not being right. When I got my bike, I just got SE slip-ons, SE aircleaner and H-D download. I absolutey love the way my Glide runs, and it is absolutley reliable. I do alot of two-up riding including baggage and I have no heat or power issues at all. But that's just me. The next guy might think I'm full of it. Bottom line though, I am as happy as hell with my ride and ain't gonna fix what ain't broke. Good luck with the new scoot and ride safe.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 AM
IronLegend
Tourer

Iwill stay with the Stage 1 set-up that was on mine when I got it ie: SE11 mufflers, SE air filter and H-D download. Works for the type of riding I do.

Tom

Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

slip ons and stage I willbe all you really need.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the board, let me be the first to tell you,,,use the search button on top and do the search and you will find all kinds of answers there are more answers that you could think of. There is a ton of knowledge by a bunch of guys that have taken the time to educate alot of us in here..Good luck in your search...

Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM
HarleyNewbie
Cruiser

Thanks guys!!!! I truly appreciate all of your input. Slips ons, Stage 1, and H-D download it is! That will save a little coin too for more goodies!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"If it were me", I would definitely get the SERT along with the intake & pipes. The late model bikes are already running lean due to EPA regs, so making it breath better will exaserbate (sp?) the problem. Of course the SERT will need to be properly tuned too, but it extends the interface to the ECM such that tuning is possible.

.... and, CONGRATS on the new SG & welcome to the forum!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the SERT is well worth the price if you are doing slip-ons and a stage-1 intake. Its not just a matter of getting a bit more horsepower and torque, the bike will run cooler, the throttle response will be much better and you will have just an all around better running bike. I would, however, recommend that you have it dyno tuned to make sure everything is working together as good as it can. I got 16% increase in hp and just less than that in torque, that was about 11 hp and 10 fp of tq....that's not a small number to thumb your nose at, and in my opinion made the SERT well worth the price.

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions?????