Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide outer Fairing installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road Glide outer Fairing installation

I am having a fit trying to put the Road Glide fairing back on after installing the new speakers. I just put some J&M speakers in and I am trying to put the damn fairing back on. I am having fits with it. I think I am going to try removing the headlight so I can see if it is going onto the hooks by the radio and then pop the headlights back in. Anyone tried this? Is there are any other tricks out there for putting this damn thing back on without killing somebody? I am doing this with two people, I have heard it is definetly a two person job. Any help or just some kind words of wisdom would be appreciated.

HELP!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 PM
profinish
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road Glide outer Fairing installation

It shouldn't be all that hard... I did it by myself the other day in about 10 minutes. Make sure the wire looms are tied back and out of the way... move it side to side and back and forth until it feels solid, then line up the tabs and you're done. I'm not sure about the headlight thing.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
classic cruiser
Cruiser

Removing the headlight makes the job a lot easier, the headlight assembly comes out real easy and snaps back into place. If you do it that way you can see where the hooks are at and the wire looms.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It gave me fits the first time too. Just like when you take it off, you lift straight up. When putting it on, you need to get it in as tight as you can, lift up a little bit, and then push down and back, trying to get the outer fairing to set down on the two frame "hooks' that it sets into. Once you have it on those, go around to the sides and inter lock the edge tabs. Then you will have the screw holes lined up and can screw it back together.

Here's the important part!

If you are pissed, set it down and have a beer break! This is of utmost importance.

Give yourself a few minutes then come back to it refreshed and calm. One little broken plastic piece will ruin your night.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will try again tomorrow, with the headlights out. I have heard this can be a bitch, well, know I know.

On another note, anyone have the J&M speakers? I just put those in and from the looks, they don't look like they are much better than the stock ones. I thought they had bigger magnets, but it was a fake plastic piece screwed on the magnet to make it look bigger than it really is. Now I wish I had never started this project. Someone tell me they will sound so much better that it will make all this frustration worth it.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Take the headlight out. It should not be a two person job, but two should make it that much easier. Don't try to line up all the side tabs and the hooks at the same time. Get the hooks on first then go around and get the sides lines up. The fairing flexes quite a bit and makes it easy to get the sides lined up.

One other thing - Make sure the blinker wires don't get pinched.

Good luck.

Zach

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Stevtt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's right about the pissed and beer thing. Felt like it took me forever to get it on by lining up the hooks

Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
profinish
Banned

I think any speaker upgrade without an amp change will only provide nominal improvement at best. Anything is better than stock though. I wouldn't expect a great deal of improvement, but you will get some.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

Take the headlight out. It should not be a two person job, but two should make it that much easier. Don't try to line up all the side tabs and the hooks at the same time. Get the hooks on first then go around and get the sides lines up. The fairing flexes quite a bit and makes it easy to get the sides lined up.

One other thing - Make sure the blinker wires don't get pinched.

Good luck.

Zach
Exactly, this is the only easy way to do it, For the 10 seconds it takes to pull the head lights out is well worth it!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 PM
raw
Advanced

I have had mine off a couple of times. First time it just feel into place. The second time was a pain!
My question is that I thought you could only remove the headlights from inside the fairing?? How do you remove them from the outside?

thanks....

Quick Reply: Road Glide outer Fairing installation