Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locks for detachable tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:13 PM
jakester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Locks for detachable tour pack

Those locks are to keep honest people honest THEY (locks) wont hold up to a prying screwdriver!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!! JAKESTER TIM.....

Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the HD lock on mine, but it wouldn't fit at all the way the instructions read. As I recall I had to really goof with it to finally get it to fit. The lock seems to work fine (once you bend the key so you can actually use it), but the whole rack is not as solid. There's some slop somewhere in the locking set up. But I guess it's still better than the zip ties I used to use!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:34 PM
scarygt
Road Master

I'm pretty sure that is the one that I used for my RKC leather tour pack, but I had to grind it down some to make it work correctly. I painted it and it turned out pretty good, but I wonder if maybe i was installing it backwards or something... maybe i didn't need to grind it. Anyone else have to modify it so that it worked??

ORIGINAL: etrader

click here

Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Ok.. sounds like you had the same problem i did. I had to grind off the edge on the one side of the lock and then i just used a black sharpie to make it black again. I installed it on the right side of the detach setup... so standing behind the bike looking at the rear fender the lock is on the right.

You still have to bend that key and that can be a bit tricky.

Good luck, Ralph

ORIGINAL: riconot

For my tour-pak, I use a hand gun cable lock. I like it because it is visible if someone is checking it out for theft. Otherwise it's not that noticible. As for Daytona, I sent my bike down there one year in a truck with 19 other bikes from Washington state. Two of the 20 bikes were stolen during the week. That's 10%. The guys had their bikes locked up on beech st. They came back, unlocked them, went back into a store for a few minutes and when they got back, the bikes were gone. The place is ripe for picking. And the pickers are there. Don't take anything that you can't afford to lose. I recommend an adequate insurance coverage if you take your bike to Daytona.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:54 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

yes, i use that lock for the passenger backrest...
i to grind outside side of triangle.
outside of triangle= spring part..
looking at lock and looking at original non-locking lacth i noticed that the lock has a slight groove/inset..the origianl does not...

Old 02-24-2008, 02:32 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you bend the key DO NOT HOLD THE BARREL END. It breaks off very easily. I just ended up cutting the loop end off my NEW SET with a dremel. I throw one under the mat inside the TourPak and always keep the pak and bags locked even if going in for a minute....

Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain

This is a fairly old link and so i was wondering if anyone had any other or more current ideas on how to lock a detachable tour pak to their bike?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:35 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I like this forum. Good answers to all the various questions. The lock is something else to add to my Christmas list.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 04harleyboy
Thats what I run, just one. Me and my buddy bought a set so that we use the same key, that way we have a spare when riding together. Also, take and put a 30 degree or so bend about half way up on the key, you'll see why when you go to unlock it
I did the same thing: One lock and bent the keys. The key may clear on some bikes, but not my '07 with solo rack. On trips I put one key in the Tour Pak (lid organizer) and a spare in my dopp kit, as sometimes we'll do day rides from a central location and the Tour Pak stays in the motel. Otherwise it stays on and I carry in the TP bag only.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by etrader
That's what I use. I'm sure somebody could get past something like this - but it might cause a thief to look somewhere else. I go to Bike Week and Biketoberfest every year - and no problem yet.

+1 on parking at the Methodist church while you're on Main Street. They watch the bikes.

Quick Reply: Locks for detachable tour pack