Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought and Installed New Fairing - Speaker Sound not that Good! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just Bought and Installed New Fairing - Speaker Sound not that Good! Help!

Just purchased a used Dragon Fly Fairing off of ebay. I have to say, the fairing looks great, was easy to install, but I'm not crazy about the sound. Maybe I'm expecting too much. It has two speakers I think they are 6", not positive. Obviously in my garage they sound pretty good. But go on the road and at 50 mph, they just don't sound that great. Bass is almost non existant, and if I turn it up to where I can hear it, it's a little distorted. I've included the link to the fairing hoping for some suggestions.

I am very spoiled with my previous setup which was high end sound isolating headphones connected to an ipod.

The options I'm thinking about are:

1.Replace the speakers with something from Circuit City (don't mind really if they aren't marine grade, don't take very long trips and can always cover them in rain).
However I'm wondering if that will do anything greatly different.

2.Replace the speakers and amp.

3.Get used to mediocre sound and realize that speakers open to the elements of air and speed just won't sound very good, especially only 2 small ones.

What are you opinions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 02-24-2008, 09:11 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just Bought and Installed New Fairing - Speaker Sound not that Good! Help!

Here is the link to the item for pictures:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=001

Oh and the other option is to sell it to someone who doesn't have such a picky ear.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Just Bought and Installed New Fairing - Speaker Sound not that Good! Help!

Best thing to do is talk to some stereo experts.
your problems can probably be fixed with a bit more power, like an add on amplifier and maybe better speakers. I say maybe cause the amp may fix it.
Or, the previous owner played the thing so loud it damaged the speakers and you may have to replace them also.
Bass can be increased by installing some insulation near or around the rear portion of the speaker inside the fairing.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM
GlennA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no substitute for power when it comes to bass. So, I think an amp and some high quality speakers are the answer.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:21 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend bought a DragonFly Concepts http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/index.htm
Last Summer @ the Hollister Rally His speakers were 6X9" and not the 5 1\4" - And they sound GREAT...