Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Trailer Rental Options- Minnesota to FL

Old 02-24-2008, 04:52 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motorcycle Trailer Rental Options- Minnesota to FL

Going to take the family, dog, kids bikes, Kayaks, etc.down to Florida for Spring Break. Need to figure out the best way to take my Street Glide along with me. The kayaks are good to go (already have roof rack, etc.) Tow vehicle is a Yukon XL.

I realize that U-Haul has an open motorcycle trailer. I've heard many warnings about rock chips, weather, etc. and I'd like to avoid any trauma to the bike. I've also heard other state that U-Haul isn't terribly accomodating in providing enclosed motorcycle options... Wheel chock, tie-downs, etc.

Has anyone up in Minnesota/Wisconsin found a good option for enclosed trailer rental?

Or, does anyone up in this areahave an enclosed motorcycle trailer that you'd be willing to rent? (Not sure how realistic that is, but Ifigured its worth a shot...)

For those of you who did use the U-Haul open trailer, how did it work out for you?

Thanks guys!

BTW, we leave March 15th and return March 21st or so...

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Motorcycle Trailer Rental Options- Minnesota to FL

Where are you located in minnesota

Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
baggerman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ship it! Walbon Trucking runs from Rosemount Mn to Wildwood FL once a week. Cheaper than a trailer. Wildwood is about 45 miles nwof Orlando just north of RT 75 and Florida Turnpike.

Walbon & Co., INC.
4230 Pine Bend Trail
Rosemount, Minnesota (MN) 55068-2562

Good luck

Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enclosed is always a better option for long distance travelling. A few tips when trailering: Best to compress your shocks as much as you can when tieing your bike down. Utilizing a front chock (for the front tire) is nice because it prevents the front from "migrating".Tie down both front and especially the back because the bike will tend to travel a bit even with regular bumps in the road. Make sure you bike is in neutral while traveling (easier on the gears). Make sure to fasten all luggage and loose items in the trailer so that regular road bumps won't cause rubbing during transit.

Hubby set our trailer up with a regular run of the mill back up camera but put it inside the trailer. It worked great. We could see our bikes perfectly while we were in transit. We could see if they were breaking loose or if any thing needed attention. He hooked up the interior light of the trailer to our vehicle lights. In transit the interior light was on so we could see everything. Worked like a charm...For instance, we had a few articles hanging on the walls of the trailer and could see them swinging and had the potential of rubbing a fender. Quick pull over and that was remedied in 2 minutes.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
buckwheat
Tourer

Stillwater, MN

Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
buckwheat
Tourer

Biker Girl,

Camera is a brilliant idea! Any idea where your husband got the camera?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:36 PM
the reverend
Tourer

I wouldn't advise the motorcycle trailer from U-Haul... I rented one and when I got there, I realized how tiny it is and how small the wheels were. For a bit more, they had a nice sized trailer with a drop down gate and the sides came up much higher than the motorcycle trailer (more protection from debris). The larger trailer went on a trip from Salt Lake City to Austin, TX and back with no problems. If you use an open trailer, just make sure you cover up the bike well and I think you will be just fine. The wheel chock isn't necessary as long as you do a great job with tie-downs.

Have fun!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Byron
Advanced

Just a word of advice. An acquaintance of mine had a 2003 UC on an open trailer and the trailer bike and all were stolen from the motel parking lot.
Byron

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Call U-Haul and talk to them about renting one of these. This should provide plenty of protection for the bike and will be easy to load/unload. They do have a motorcycle trailer too.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The options are endless! There's nothing wrong with open trailers, I've owned several & never had any rock damage to a bike. They do get dirty, but a good wash when you get to your destination cures that. Never cover a bike on an open trailer! Wind whipping the cover will rub the finish off the bike. So will the ends of the tie down straps if you don't secure 'em.

Two sets of tie downs on the front of the bike to separate points on the bike & the trailer. Backup is no good if they're both tied to the same point & it fails.

Add your own eye bolts/anchors to rental trailers, & remove 'em before you return the trailer. Most renters either don't notice, or don't care.

Enclosed trailers will keep your bike clean & double your gas bill.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcycle Trailer Rental Options- Minnesota to FL