Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble installing 7" Visor trim ring on headlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Trouble installing 7"\\; Visor trim ring on headlight

that does look good

Old 07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trouble installing 7" Visor trim ring on headlight

just put mine on yesterday - got it to close by leaving the original trim screw loose, just tight enough to hold everything in place along the top. That leaves room for the new ring to fit behind and it closed nicely. If you re-tighten the original the new one can't get in the right position to close.

The following users liked this post:
tlranger (11-14-2018)
Old 07-20-2008, 01:09 PM
ffdharley3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trouble installing 7" Visor trim ring on headlight

ORIGINAL: casique

Return it or throw it away, the part is a POS!&nbsp\\; I recycled mine!
Too bad!!!&nbsp\\; If they say HarleyDavidson you can guarantee their not cheap$$$$$&nbsp\\;

Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
SSeat GRide
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thank you - Now I know that I am not the only one. You know, they say that I will not fit with a fairing bra on which I have. I can make that work no problem. But this size thing? That's a different story.

I also took the OEM ring off to see what was doing and found it to be too large for the new trim ring to fit over. I read and re-read the instructions thinking that I was missing something. What a waste of two nights tinkering in the garage. I have tried it without the OEM ring and it was not going to stay on there. I think that I will try to spread out the headlight flange at the back to give it something to grab like YodaddyKeith did.

If you want to use it with the fairing bra you can do like I did and put the stretch material of the fairing behind the headlight flange at the back, and then screw right through the material to put it back on. This works fine.

I too was unable to find any visor style trim rings like this one at J&P Cycles.

I do have a question though... when I put the trim ring on, the headlight itself is set very far back from the inside edge of the trim ring. I didn't want to move the adjuster screws until I got some advice. Is there a way to move the entire headlight out towards the trim ring without losing the aim that I have now?

Cheers.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSeat GRide
the headlight itself is set very far back from the inside edge of the trim ring. I didn't want to move the adjuster screws until I got some advice. Is there a way to move the entire headlight out towards the trim ring without losing the aim that I have now?

Cheers.
Take the whole headlight assembly back off...then put a stick on weather stripping on the back of the mounting bracket where it will meet the fairing, being careful not to have it sticking out past the edges. I used 1/2 inch felt weather stripping and could have gone to 3/4 inch probably. This will bring the whole headlight straight out to enable the trim ring to make contact with the headlight. I also took the stock ring off and put the same felt weatherstripping around the inside of the new trim ring in a few spots so it would stay put without the stock ring. Made it much easier to get on and it looks good.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

So im having issues with the install of the frenched visor 7” ring over my softail slim 7” headlight. It doesnt fit. Really doesnt. I measured a circumference of the oem headlight compared to the frenched headlight ring and theyre two diff sizes. The frenched trim ring doesnt fit over my softail headlamp due to the two screws on the headlamp. I did everything. Lostened the original ring and put the new visor on but it doesnt click in place. Everyone says it pops into place but i dont see how. Pics below

size difference on the bike

and underneath gap

i even tried bending the trim ring uners so it can fit over but that doesnt work

ive seen others out this on softail slims so i know its possible.. what am i doing wrong?
the instructions diagram shows a completely different trim ring than the one i have

also there is a crazy huge gap from the light and edge of the trim ring

Last edited by AK883xl; 02-16-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:55 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 722 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbob
I'm with yodaddy, I've had thisvisor on and off more times than I care to count.I also had the inner ring off to see what the problem was. It stock trim ring simply is too big in diameter to let the visor close up. How are you guys not using the stock trim ring to hold the visor on.
Originally Posted by AK883xl

So im having issues with the install of the frenched visor 7” ring over my softail slim 7” headlight. It doesnt fit. Really doesnt. I measured a circumference of the oem headlight compared to the frenched headlight ring and theyre two diff sizes. The frenched trim ring doesnt fit over my softail headlamp due to the two screws on the headlamp. I did everything. Lostened the original ring and put the new visor on but it doesnt click in place. Everyone says it pops into place but i dont see how. Pics below

size difference on the bike

and underneath gap

i even tried bending the trim ring uners so it can fit over but that doesnt work

ive seen others out this on softail slims so i know its possible.. what am i doing wrong?
the instructions diagram shows a completely different trim ring than the one i have

also there is a crazy huge gap from the light and edge of the trim ring
I've got the exact same thing. A big gap between the inside of the ring and the headlight itself. Pisses me off! Also, the passing lights ones, the lamps themselves are loose inside? Sux!