Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
DiegoKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise UPDATE

As some of you know I posted several days ago with an abnormal engine clatter that I now know what it was. Well, I took it in to the local HD independent and found out my oil pump froze up and starved my engine of oil. So, now I am looking a cams, pump, tensioners, lifters and bearings. I have opted for the gear driven cams, I believe they are S&S and are comparible to the 203s I had and a high volume oil pump. Any input on these decisions?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
mgilzean
Novice
Default RE: Engine noise UPDATE

DiegoKing, is the bike still under warranty? If so, why are they not replacing the engine?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Why did the oil pump freeze up? Make sure they check runout on crank before doing anything!!!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Warranty or not, I think I would want to know what caused the oil pump to go. Without that information, what is to stop it from happening again. Crank runout? Cam chain tensioner failure and debri in the pump? Cam bearing failure?

I would want to know, just saying.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
kman780
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask for new everything. Crazy if your don't. How do the pistons, cylinders, crank, etc. look? If its not. Take your chances but skip all the upgrades. I have a full 88 inch setup, if you are looking, with 500 miles on it. No cases but pistons, flywheel, crank, etc... even cams. PM me if you need anything.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 PM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

S&S gear drives wont work with your SE203 cams, aint going to happen, your mechanic needs to find the root of your problem, oil pumps dont just lock up without a cause................................

Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM
DiegoKing
Tourer

My King is not under warranty, it has 70k on it. My tech comes highly recommended so I have to trust him, I have no other options. I too would like to know why the pump froze, all I can think of is that the plastic on the tensioners shredded and jammed in the pump??? All I know is he said everything looks fine other than the parts I listed that are going to be replaced. The cams he is installing are S&S cams that are comparable to the 203s in lift and duration, not SC 203s. I am hoping this will take care of my problems because I am planning a 1600 mile roadtrip to Sturgis later this summer.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

My 2000 RG lost oil pressure and I found out that the oil pressure relief had stuck & when the oil pressure spiked it blew the cleanout plug out of the top of the cam support plate. Fortunately I was able to nurse the bike home without damage to the engine. I put the latest version of the cam support plate in which is designed so that can't happen any more.Now with new chain tensioners & adjustable push rods the engine carries better oil pressure at 112,000 miles than it did at 25,000 - 30,000 miles.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DiegoKing

As some of you know I posted several days ago with an abnormal engine clatter that I now know what it was. Well, I took it in to the local HD independent and found out my oil pump froze up and starved my engine of oil. So, now I am looking a cams, pump, tensioners, lifters and bearings. I have opted for the gear driven cams, I believe they are S&S and are comparible to the 203s I had and a high volume oil pump. Any input on these decisions?

Sounds like a shredded cam bearing, the metal pieces
probably caused the frozen oilpump [:@]
Go for Torrington ballbearings and gear drive.
No need to replace stock HD lifters.
You can save time by installing adjustable pushrods
so you won't have to remove fueltank and rockerboxes

Peter

Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 AM
hoelwill
Advanced

Hi DiegoKing,

I too am planning the same route as you to put in a 203 equivalent cam and geardrive kit on my 05 RKC.

Can you share with me which S&S cam you have chosen(i do not want to remap to save $$) and which gear drive kit you picked?

Appreciate your sharing...

Quick Reply: Engine noise UPDATE