Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldwing or Ultra Classic

Great quote... I loved it!!!!! Buy American[sm=biker2.gif]

ORIGINAL: ratcat

Harleys are made with US steel, chrome and leather.
Gw's are made of recycled honda 90's, plastic and metric fasteners
What was the question?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
G Funk
Cruiser

If you buy the Goldwing you won't-
-Be visiting the dealer every week, looking for chrome.
-Start a t-shirt collection of Honda shirts from different cities.
-Get thumbs up from people everywhere you go.
-Be the "cool" friend.
-Post threads on hdforums.com

But you will have a nice bike for transportation.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
singlepin
Cruiser

One other thing you might want to look at: Merryville is closing the plant in Spring of 09 and moving back to Japan. Parts may be a little hard to find here and expensive. Just a thought--I don't know if the closing will have a effect or not.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

I traded My 1800cc vtx in on my 2006 gps model Gold wing. Look at Chatanooga Power sports.Google it. No **** those prices are real.Best honda Prices in the country. I was in the same boat when I bought my wing. I LOVE MY WING.. I use it to haul *** to visit family all over the east coast. I use it to haull *** to the Keys Every chance I get. It is great in the COLD and Warm In the heat.It handles as well almost as my Hayabusa,It runs Great 11.4 in the quarter mile ...... It is a great Bike. I could not own a gold wing as my only bike though. I use it for Commuting to work 44 miles on the interstate each way. I use it for long trips. TOO Big in Town for me. I have a 08 SG for my when the wife dont go bike or my short trip with the wife bike. I love My harley. If I had to onll have 2 bikes it would be Wing / SG. 1 bike would be I will never make that decision, you cant make me. They are both paid off. I Do love MY HARLEY..
I can Always trust my Wing to haul *** and make every trip.

Hope this helped

Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I owned a 84 Aspencade for ten years. Aside from a weak stator problem, it was a good servicable bike. I put 146000 miles on it before a left turner took me out, and sidelined me for seven year. I cut my riding teeth on Harley's and when I got up the nerve to take up motorcycling again, I bought a new Ultra. Now, I am on my second Ultra. I put 59000 on the first on, and I just got back from a quick trip to Arizona, putting on 911 miles in two days. I haven't been more comfortable on any other bike I've owned than I am on this one.

I know the GW has the power advantage, and a bit more passenger room. If that makes the difference, then the GW is for you. If you like an interesting ride you can be proud to call your own, you will never regret having bought the Harley Ultra.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
BIG SMITTY
Novice

I owned a 1985 wing for a couple of years and after a 2003 BMW R1150R I am back on the Ultra. Just the look of the Ultra alone is enough for me to know that it is the bike to have. I still know alot of Wingers and know they are good people to hang out with and have a very well organized group. BUt like someone said earlier is that a Harley rider is a different group of people all along. It doesn't matter where you come from or what you do you always have something to talk about to another harley rider. I have met lawyers, military, doctors, and dentist that ride. Either one of them you can talk to and have atleast one thing in common.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 AM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

Ohh I re-read your post. 200 to 300 miles to any where. Buy the Wing for the mileage reason. IMHO. It will for real cruise @85 all day no worries....

Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just out of curiousity... Where are you? To be 200 to 300 miles to anywhere that's even hard to do out in the western states.

My '05 Electra Glide has been trouble free and all smiles for 71,000 miles. Very reliable, very comfortable and a hoot to ride day in and day out - a very classy bike and one I'm damned proud to own. Never had a Wing but have heard good things about them as far as reliable transportation machines.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:31 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 3 wings and IMHO they are top heavy sleds.....But what do I know I bought 3 of them before I realized that they was top heavy.... They were all good bikes, but like everyone here says, the Harley has personality and class....You just can't beat the sound...The Japs are trying and so is Polaris but to no aival....

Old 03-10-2008, 05:45 AM
UltraDave
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

In my opinion, either bike is a winner. I owned and modified a Road King for 2 years and loved it - some guy gave me nearly what I paid for the bike and he now owns it. I have driven the Ultra (worked in HD service for little over a year) and the Ultra is a fine bike. The Goldwing which I currently own is heavier but has more power than the Ultra. Part of the decision depends on your dealers - if the HD dealer is great, that helps. I do my own service so the dealership thing didn't matter. I wanted to try the GW and so far, other than whimpy suspension, the GW is OK. It's pretty hot in the summer in spite of being water cooled - not any different than the HD. My wife has arthritus and the GW seems to fit her pretty well (we're both 62). If you've never owner a HD, you would love it. Both bikes have their attributes and, if I had room for 2 in the garage, the other would be a HD.
Retired Ted has been on this forum for some time and has always given sound advice. He is right on again with his assessment of your dilemma that both are fine bikes. You're best course of action is to rent both of them and putsome miles on each then make yourdecision.

RetiredTed: glad to see you're stillwith us on theForum.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Classic