Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Whatever the cost rest assured the detachable feature is WONDERFUL - five minutes max for on/off and you go from a stripped-down E-Glide like I have mine in the sig pic to a full-blown touring bike for cross-country trips. Don't forget a sissybar/backrest for the rear passenger is a 30 second project too.

I run my E-Glide with just the saddle bags 99% of the time but of course for a trip the touring pack is truly awesome.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
philb252
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Be prepared..the instructions are terrible-the parts assembly diagrams are the most useful part of the instructions- be patient, its worth it! Ride safe

Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF it is an 09 bike remember all parts #'s will be new for the 09 bikes, don't pass out any wrong part #'s. There is a kit # 53246-09 that has everything you need in it and MSRP is over $549.95 just for the kit.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:57 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ask how many people actually take the TP off.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Ask how many people actually take the TP off.
I do.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
JoeSwiatek
Advanced

I have heard that when the tour pak is installed on the bike using the quick-detach system, it is not nearly as rigid and secure as it was before. Has anyone had this experience and, if so, would you care to comment? I am seriously considering such a venture, but if there are any serious tradoffs, I'll give up on the idea. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeSwiatek
I have heard that when the tour pak is installed on the bike using the quick-detach system, it is not nearly as rigid and secure as it was before. Has anyone had this experience and, if so, would you care to comment? I am seriously considering such a venture, but if there are any serious tradoffs, I'll give up on the idea. Thanks.
I have an EG Classic and put the quick detach gear on this past weekend. Seems just as study and secure as it was before. I did order a hidden antenna off ebay to mount inside the fairing as the antenna wire is just a PITA to keep swapping around.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll mostly echo what's been said above.

The kit runs about $265 from Chicago HD. It's not listed as an "ultra" part because it does not include any remount for the CB.

Easy enough to install (although the instructions look like the Normandy invasion plans, six pages front and back) and only takes about two hours to do yourself (*hint: look at a bike that already has the detach kit and the instructions will make a lot more sense).

The intercom cord spring was about the only thing not covered in the instructions that might have taken some tinkering to reattach. I just put the cord under the seat forever (I don't like voices in my head when I ride, anyway).

The license plate reloc that comes with the kit looks like crap and a layback kit will need some spacing to keep from rubbing the pak when attached.

Make sure the detach bracket fits easily into the detach before you bolt it all up to the tour pak.

I swear the pak grows a foot in all directions when you remove it. Being bulky, you have to use some care reattaching it each time. And it does take up some garage space once it's off.

On my ultra, it's still about 15 minutes total time to detach, dress all the wires, antenas, and swap seats. About 25 to remount. I've put mine back on every few weeks for road trips, so far.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Edgeflhtci
6th Gear

These are the part numbers I used on my 05 FLHTCI. I bought them from Surdyke.com

Kit Docking Hardware: 53804-06 ($49.34)
Kit Docking Hardware Front 2 Up: 53276-04 ($147.94)
HD HDP Layback License Plate: 60277-07 ($32.95)

Tune Trapper Antenna: TT-2C ($39.95)
http://www.ecshylites.citymax.com/page/page/603561.htm

It took about an hour to switch over everything. I'd also look up forum member gilbos440rt. He makes some sweet replacement bushing that should just be used upfront to begin with on the docking points.

My 2 pennies worth. Stay safe.

Edge

Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the single 09 bike mount accepts any 09 rear attachment. i mounted an 03 tour pak to the 09 quick detach mount and it took a little shadetree engineering as the 09 doesn't have the upper bar mount that the older tour paks did..

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Kit