Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
LiveLifeLarge
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the1st mod I did when I got the bike a couple of months ago. Bike seems to handle easier without all that weight on the back. Now I am just trying to figure out which seat to go with. Probably the Lepara Silhouette.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I much prefer my EG with the TP off the bike and a solo seat--cosmetically and for ride quality.

However, I learned shortly after I bought the TP and installed the detachable hardware that if I left the TP on the bike for more than a few days it became more difficult to remove since I became "addicted" to its convenience--put the helmet in the box instead of on the handlebars, etc.

So, when I put the TP on the bike for a trip, I promptly remove it once back home and I don't get used to having it on the bike.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Hugh Jass
Tourer

I put one on my SG. Not that hard, just a little time consuming. I took my time, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM
model1911a
Cruiser

I suppose cause I expect more from HD but they never seem to go the extra mile so I went outside the box. Why would HD sell the 2up detach mount and a solo detach mount as 2 different items? Why would you want to wrench for an hour changing from one to another when the high dollar engineers are getting paid big bucks to design user friendly stuff. Well......I suppose we do what we do. I wanted a bike that would run my tour pack 2up...solo....or off the bike in short order. So here's what I did......No I didn't use George Anderson's relocator.....I needed a system that would give more than what George could offer. I needed movement and lots of it......has been on the bike for 40,000 plus miles and love it!......

Attached Thumbnails  Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Kit-new-chrome.jpg    Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Kit-bike-april-2007-002-l-ii.jpg    Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Kit-bike-april-2007-003-l-ii.jpg  
Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I have an EG Classic and put the quick detach gear on this past weekend. Seems just as study and secure as it was before. I did order a hidden antenna off ebay to mount inside the fairing as the antenna wire is just a PITA to keep swapping around.
No problems here, I ride w/o the pac most of the time and just happen to have it on right now. Feels good

Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirdup
I'll mostly echo what's been said above.

The kit runs about $265 from Chicago HD. It's not listed as an "ultra" part because it does not include any remount for the CB.

Easy enough to install (although the instructions look like the Normandy invasion plans, six pages front and back) and only takes about two hours to do yourself (*hint: look at a bike that already has the detach kit and the instructions will make a lot more sense).

The intercom cord spring was about the only thing not covered in the instructions that might have taken some tinkering to reattach. I just put the cord under the seat forever (I don't like voices in my head when I ride, anyway).

The license plate reloc that comes with the kit looks like crap and a layback kit will need some spacing to keep from rubbing the pak when attached.

Make sure the detach bracket fits easily into the detach before you bolt it all up to the tour pak.

I swear the pak grows a foot in all directions when you remove it. Being bulky, you have to use some care reattaching it each time. And it does take up some garage space once it's off.

On my ultra, it's still about 15 minutes total time to detach, dress all the wires, antenas, and swap seats. About 25 to remount. I've put mine back on every few weeks for road trips, so far.
I went with the lay down plate and had to space out 1 1/8"

Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiveLifeLarge
It was the1st mod I did when I got the bike a couple of months ago. Bike seems to handle easier without all that weight on the back. Now I am just trying to figure out which seat to go with. Probably the Lepara Silhouette.

Check out the Mustang Daytripper. Low profile and it allows you to move back away from the tank and stretch out on the bike. I run that when the TP is off and switch to the touring seat when the wife and I are going on a trip.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harley58
A friend of mine is buying a new Ultra Classic. He wants to be able to take the tour pack off when not going on long distance trips. The dealership wants $500. for the quick disconnect kit. I say that is way to much. There can't be much to that kit. Suggestions. Is there anybody out there that sells a after market kit. What all is in the kit?

Thanks.
Mike
You say your friend is getting a new Ultra, is that an 08 or 09 ?? The detachable hardware is totally different for the 2 years as I stated in a previous reply to this thread. For accurate replies to be made we need to have the year of the bike. Lots of things changed on the 09 bikes !!!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Richpend
Tourer

I have only taken it once, I've only have my ride for 3 mos. I like the convenience of have it. The option is there and that is what I wanted. Money well spent!

Old 07-04-2014, 02:50 PM
augustwestny
Stage III
Default Where do you hide the wires

When I remove the tourpak the wires are a PITA. Any ideas where to tuck them? Speaker wires, antenna, intercom?

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Kit