Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn signal/brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Turn signal/brake lights

My 05 Ultra had the rear turn signals converted to also act as brake lights. It had the small black box in the wiring harness under the seat. When I installed my trailer hitch and wiring using the splitter off ebay and the converter so the turnsignals and brakelights on the trailer worked. After loosing my rear turnsignals, we finally traced it down to the small black box for the turnsignal/brakelight conversion as being bad...took it out of line and had signals. Now for the question: Doe anyone know of a heavy duty box that will work with a trailer and not short out. I am not sure if the trailer lights did it or I did, fooling around with the wiring. I was told the box will not stand the load of the extra lights on a trailer...

Joe

Old 03-15-2008, 01:26 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Turn signal/brake lights

Not sure the box is the problem, did you check if the box worked with out beig connected to the trailer after the set up. Most items that perform this type of function work the same and are not "heavy duty". If you find something let us know!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 02:01 PM
SeadogCVA43
Advanced

How much of a load did your trailer draw?
I'm surprised that just 1 extra set of brake/signal lamps would do that.
I used the same module and found that it had shifted out of position under ther seat. It was starting to wear thru the case and would have shorted out had i not caught it in time.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:41 PM
StreetGlide53
Advanced

Anyone need one of the old style brake light converters? I got one that i tried on my 07 FLHX, Only works on bikes up to 06, Brand new only tried once $45 and I will payfor shipping tolower 48 statesonly.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:55 PM
SeadogCVA43
Advanced

Streetglide53......
HD changed the wiring harness on the SG in '07.
Ifound out the hard way. had a 06 SG and the brakelight module which made the turnsignals VERY bright.
traded up to the 07 SG but kept the module from the 06...it didn't work.
(gave it to a buddy who had an 06)
Now in all the HD catologes, these modules are advertised as only" an increase in intensity"
Bought one made for the 07, its better than nothing...never did like amber lights.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep it was the box, like I said I may have shorted it out, but when I took it off and later unwrapped the electrical tape the previous owner had wrapped around it, the outside plastic was real brittle and had several cracks and one almost burnt thru place on it...I am guessing it was almost gone when I bought the bike...Will order another one and see what happens...Gonna change all the trailer lights to LED...won't be much of a load on it then..Thanks for the info..

Joe

Old 03-16-2008, 02:40 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yerself a favor and do it RIGHT - which means installing an isolator on the trailer circuit. Or you can wait until the harness wires short out, and destroy the electrical system of yer m/c.