Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***

So.. I updated my Thundermax to the latest firmware and thought all was well.. I couldn't have been more mistaken. My bike is currently unridable, wanting to idle at 3000 RPM once the motor has been revved past the 3000 RPM marker it simply doesn't want to come down... I am thoroughly disappointed, Thundermax support has been VERY slow to respond and their response is remove the unit and send it in... So that leaves my bike out of commission until the unit is returned. At the very least one week, probably two to three weeks. I am not happy, not at all. If this unit gives me even the slightest hint of trouble in the future it will be removed and sold to whoever else wants to deal with an aftermarket computer on their bike.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** BEWARE ***

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Zippers couldn't walk you through on how to go back to a prior version? I used v4.4 forever without any issues.On a good note, Zippers seems good about warranty issues vice having to argue with a vendor and still not get your tuner fixed. That would suck.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I tried reverting back to the prior code and the issue still remained.. The only reason I did the update was my bike has Rinehart true duals and was decel-popping a little and the new firmware was supposed to help with this issue.. To say I am pissed would be an understatement... My ten month old bike is now parked at the beginning of riding season on a beautiful day... I should of went with the Race Tuner and a good Dyno tune... When I go to 103" I will probably go ahead and switch back to the Harley ECU and dyno tune with the race tuner.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
bigirn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can,t you plug your stock ecm back in until they get the other back to you? i know its still an issue but was thinking myself when I'm going on a long trip that i would put the stock ecm in my trailer as a spare in case of a break down.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47706/78D6A7C13C6642148DD7C4F160DEA8E2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I'm surprised Zippers cannot fix this for you over the phone. I've heard they have very good support. I know you're frustrated, but don't give up on the T-Max too soon. Give them a chance to make it right. Although, suggesting they overnight you a replacement unit (since they cannot help with the problem under normal tech support) would be completely appropriate in my opinion.

Good luck
Zach

Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

When you updated the firmware, did you reset the learned fuel offsets and the iac offsets? If not, that may be your problem. If you don't follow their complicated procedure, crap starts happening. I updated from to the 4.6 and the latest software upgrade and had no problems at all.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
bigirn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you come to find outabout the update ?

[IMG]local://upfiles/47706/C8DF466B3934449FBE594EE1F76401E1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Haven't heard of that particular issue. I'd bet it's got something to do with learned IAC offsets. (I've been running the new firmware since last fall with no issues).

Old 03-18-2008, 05:53 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I followed the update procedure to a T.. Resetting the learned offset IAC etc.

I could put the stock ECU back in, but my bike would run a bit lean with the aftermarket pipes / intake...

Honestly I think the best route is the stock ECU / Race-TUner with a Dyno tune... If you can keep a copy of your map on a USB drive you are good to go wherever you're at if the stock ECU bytes the dust.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:59 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Did you reload your base map, reset all learned values, and then let it initialize up to temp without touching the throttle? Took this approach on mine and it worked without a problem.

Mark

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***