Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocko Rock
I'm having this issue with my 1994 Road King. Speedo needle stopped working, turn signals would not self cancel and also the digital milage disappeared all together. I can't read milage or trip meter. So you guys think I have a speed sensor issue as well ?
Remember that if replacing the speed sensor doesn't fix the problem then it may be the connector to the speed sensor is not making good contact due to corrosion or being wet. Sometimes after washing the bike the speedo would not work or work sporadically until everything dries back out again. This has happened to me. Replaced VSS but still had problems until connector was repaired.

Here are some of the symptoms of VSS malfunction.

No speedometer
No odometer
No miles remaining
No self canceling signals
Cruise control wont work
AVC for radio not working
Stalling engine at idle speeds
Engine light comes on

I might have missed something but hope it helps someone with this issue.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM
tgbandit88
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do not have turn signals or the speedometer working, the odometer's are cable driven so they work, and i have looked everywhere for the turn signal module and cant find it or the wiring harness plug for it. i have looked under the seat, bolted to the back fender, behind the fairing, behind each side cover and under the gas tank. it is a 97 electra glide, the clymer manual says under the seat as did a harley dealer service tech but its not there and i cant find a plug from the harness. anyone ever ran into a similar problem?

thanks todd

Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
shawn175
Stage III
Default speedo problems

hi all i have speedo problems. i changed the sensor but still doing the same thing. the needle stays at 200 km/h and when driving it moves further up so if anyone has any suggestions. should i drive it for it to work after changing the sensor or should it have went to 0 when strting it. let know. thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My buddies 03 softtail had the same problem.
After a day of troublshooting it was the Main on off acc ****.
no speedo,horn,turn signals..basically only had brake and headlight
underneath the 3 sets of contacts were not making.
just hardened grease,dirt type od crap on contacts
cleaned it up, problem gone.

I have heard this is a commom problem

Old 06-23-2011, 07:28 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Had one in the shop the other day doing the same thing...Used the self diagnostic on the bike ...It had a code stored in it...Over voltage...Checked charging system...Just over idle the bike was putting out 18 volts...Replaced voltage regulator...All is well...Might be your problem...Do your lights look brighter than usual?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Ultrathunder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running down the road one day, reached down for the cig lighter and blew the fuse, same time speedo quit and could not get the Cruze control off until turned it off on the switch, Check all your Fuses, this was on a 05 Ultra

Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Irish Ron
Stage I

I had the problem of the speedo(02 electra glide classic) being erratic,run for 2 kms, then zero for 200kms then next day perfect all day,hit a bump... zero. I've been reading all the posts with interest,talked to a few Techs in my work, they said the sensor will not go good/bad,I even removed sensor and cleaned it of the iron filings
If it fails its failed,new one required, was told probable cause was bad connection,so I went rooting around,removed battery , unplugged three pin triangler connector under seat,moved wires around found it was a tight fit under the starter, even switched the two relays over beside the battery box as they were of the same size,put everthing back togeather and it started working perfect, **** luck as I did not see any signs of shorting or corrosion, hope this of help to someone.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 PM
higgi
2nd Gear

Gotta love this forum,
No speedometer
No odometer
No miles remaining
No self canceling signals
Cruise control wont work
Stalling engine at idle speeds
Engine light comes on
Read this thread after I had all the above problems with my 03 FLHRCI on a ride about 60 miles from home and no cell service. Had my wife pick up a speed sensor the next day. Installed it in about 15 min cured all my issues. Also had been having an issue with my cruise kicking out for no reason. Curious if it solves that as well. Not sure what this would have cost to have the dealer diagnose and repair. Cost me less than sixty bucks.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
wbusheyj
Stage II
Default 2004 fat boy shutting down

bIKE CUTS OUT AND STALLS. STARTS BACK UP NO PROBLEM. SENT IT TO THE DEALER. THEY TOLD ME IT WAS THE SPEEDOMETER.????? DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT.IVE BEEN TOLD IT WAS MY POWER COMMANDER UNPLUGGED TYHAT BUT PROBLEM STAYED. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I ORDERED THE SPEEDO.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 PM
drs0413
Advanced

My 01 EGC did the same, replaced speedometer sensor, die-electic grease on connections, then noticed the left fairing brace was broke at the top, replaced and has been working fine since then. Easy to check so you might try.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM