Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM
iqbaliqbal
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a FYI - I was experiencing this issue, coupled with random motor hiccups, on my '08 FXDL and noticed my battery ground was loose.

A half-turn with a phillips head, and problem solved!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM
MikeRN59
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo working intermittently

I have a 98 Road King on which the speedometer/odo will quit working especially on a hot day. The speedo will work initially, but when I shut the bike down then restart it the speedo/odo will not come back on. The bike has to cool down completely before the speedo will resume working. The idle does not change nor does the bike kill, but the turn signals do not cancel when the speedo is off. Is there a heat sensitive part in the speedo system that may be causing this?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,416 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Arrow subcribed

Last weekend I bought my wife a silver 2000 FLHT (carbed) that developed the speedometer & turn signal issue on the ride home (300 miles). I've been shopping E-bay for a parts & service manual for this bike-but I don't have them yet. My voltmeter was indicating a normal range so I hope it's the speed sensor and not a reg. or stator problem...

Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
willyp
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 99 softail. speedo/odometer problems. worked on the speedo yesterday and today...all the wires checked out so I narrowed it down to speedo itself or the speed sensor. shop manual uses a speedometer tester part number HD-41354. I figured this would be nice to diagnose my problem. called the dealer to see if they had this test set, they told me I had to bring my bike in because they don't work on parts off the bike. I asked if I brought in a wheel would they mount and balance a tire and they said sure? WTF? Thanks for nothing!

anyway now I think it may be the voltage regulator. had me puzzled. didn't realize there was a diagnostic mode on the speedo which showed the fault code of d08 which means over voltage. speedo and odometer work fine when sitting idle but as I accelerate the speedo goes to 0 and the odometer blanks out. I had a multi meter on the battery while the bike was off....12 volts. at idle, 14 volts and as I increase the throttle the voltage jumps up to 17 volts and thats when the speedo fails. should stay at 14 correct? I am thinking voltage regulator. the dealer has one for $122, I went outside and checked Drag Specialties on my phone...$53.99. went back inside and told the parts guys no thanks I found it for cheaper.....he said I would still have to pay shipping..HAHA! what are your thoughts?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Its easy & quick to check the speed sensor!

Originally Posted by willyp
I have a 99 softail. speedo/odometer problems. worked on the speedo yesterday and today...all the wires checked out so I narrowed it down to speedo itself or the speed sensor. shop manual uses a speedometer tester part number HD-41354. I figured this would be nice to diagnose my problem. called the dealer to see if they had this test set, they told me I had to bring my bike in because they don't work on parts off the bike. I asked if I brought in a wheel would they mount and balance a tire and they said sure? WTF? Thanks for nothing!

anyway now I think it may be the voltage regulator. had me puzzled. didn't realize there was a diagnostic mode on the speedo which showed the fault code of d08 which means over voltage. speedo and odometer work fine when sitting idle but as I accelerate the speedo goes to 0 and the odometer blanks out. I had a multi meter on the battery while the bike was off....12 volts. at idle, 14 volts and as I increase the throttle the voltage jumps up to 17 volts and thats when the speedo fails. should stay at 14 correct? I am thinking voltage regulator. the dealer has one for $122, I went outside and checked Drag Specialties on my phone...$53.99. went back inside and told the parts guys no thanks I found it for cheaper.....he said I would still have to pay shipping..HAHA! what are your thoughts?

In my case, I pulled the speed sensor out in less then 5 minutes. It had a ton of metal debris on it, once I cleaned it off, put in back in and went for test ride, my problems were fixed! Check your speed sensor first, b4 throwing money at your problem. I hope you get lucky; like me!
Once again this Forum and its members have shown me the way home!!!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
llewop
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same exact problems on my 07 FLHTCU. I have checked my VSS out of the bike and there is on continuity between any of the three terminals. There should be some resistance. I found some corrosion on one of the terminals and cleaned it and the plug end but still set codes PO501 & PO502. I'll get a new VSS today and see if it fixes the problem.
Then on to the rough idle problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's where I found the problem on my 05. I had this problem from day one. 3 sensors and 1 speedo (warranty) later I stumbled on it when I pulled my inner fairing off to have it painted. It was a bad ground on the triple tree. I sanded the powder coat off the tree and added a star washer and haven't had a problem since. That was back in 05.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 10-22-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 PM
doug garrison
4th Gear

I have an 03 road king and I am experiencing the same problem. I am going this afternoon to get a speed sensor. I have taken my speed sensor out and cleaned it about a two weeks ago, but now it's acting up again. Thank you all for your input and while I am at the Harley shop I will ask about the turn signal module. Thanks again. Ride safe and live life to it's fullest.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Arrow

My sensor failed. I cleaned it and it worked for about a week, then failed again according to the diagnostics. I took a chance and bought one off of E-Bay for $ 40.00 (about $ 15.00 cheaper then the dealer), it's working great and looks exactly like the stocker. Check it out for an alternative to the HD part.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Stacker9000
Stage IV
Default Fast speedo & freezes

Ok guys,
2013 breakout, when riding speedo will exaggerate speed increasingly as speed increases & then upon clutching in & slowing, or stopping, the speedo needle will hold last achieved speed.
I have read the bikes diagnostics & found no codes indicated.
Anyone have any idea what the issue may be?
Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: Speedometer Problem! PLEASE READ IF YOU EVER HAD A SPEEDO PROBLEM