Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview Windshield Question - Please read if you have one!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM
avcaruso
Road Captain
Received 1,315 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Clearview Windshield Question - Please read if you have one!

I have a 9" fast aire windshield on my 2006 EGC right now, which I really like both in hight and wind deflection. Only problem is in the rain I get about a 1/2 of rain hitting me right in the upper eye / forehead area. I have thought about going to a 9.5 or 10 inch, but I want to keep it lower for looks.

Clearview claims with thier recurve windshield it gains 1.5-2" of air buffering. Is this true? Are these good quality shields? If I can get a clearview a bit shorter, but get the same wind and rain deflection, seems like a no brainer.

Comments from those of you running a recurve on an EG? or any comments in general on the product and application?

Thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Rick 547
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clearview Windshield Question - Please read if you have one!

I have a 8" Clearview with recurve on a 07 Street Glide and when it rains I get hit in the eyes. I'm 6'1" tall and probably should have gone with the 9.5" with recurve. Other than that it is a great windshield.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Clearview on my Ultra and really like it. I would think that if you are running a 9" Fastaire that you could get that same size in the Clearview with the recurve and see some improvement. FYI the Clearview is a much better quality shield than the Fastaire (more expensive also). With the material the Clearview is made of you can also use RainX on it to slide the rain drops off where you can't use that product on the less expensive shields due to the material they are made of. Check out the Clearview website for more details.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
captsam54
Road Master

I have the fastaire 10" and love it.. Went from a 9" to the 10". Better protection.. But the 9" does look better. As far as wind deflection goes.. You can adjust how you put your fastaire on.. When you tighten the fairing windshield screws down.(3), either pull the top center of the windshield up and torwards the ft. of the bike or just pull straight up and center. You will get more curve (and wind blockage)if you set it more to the ft.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
mestude
Tourer

I too would like to get info on the clearview...specifically the buffeting at highway speeds...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The Clearview claim seems credible to me for wind, although it would be difficult to quantify. I've had an 8" with recurve installed for over a year and have had no other WS's on the bike other than the 4" stock "wind deflector," which did no more than deflect wind into my face in a negative way. I'm 5' 10" and the air hits just at the top of my 3/4 helmet while I'm looking over the windshield. In the few times I've been caught in rain with this setup the rain does get through enough for me to want to hunker down a bit, but I don't think any windshield that you look over will fully protect from rain, as it has too much mass and manages to get through while wind flows higher. I do think the recurve would make some difference, however, though not the same as with wind.

As for quality, I would rank it very high. I use Novus 1 regularly to clean and polish it and it looks good after quite a bit of use. The plastic does scratch easily like all windshield material does, except glass in cars, so maintenance should include using a polishing agent occasionally.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a stock Harley 12 incher (actually measures at 11).

Went to a 9.5 inch Clearview recurve. It offers the same if not MORE wind protection than the bigger one did. Can't comment on the rain issue tho, as it seems to me that you would be catching rain drops that are coming down over the top of the windshield anyway.....maybe I don't understand exactly what you mean, but I even got rain in my face with the big windshield.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

I had a stock Harley 12 incher (actually measures at 11).

Went to a 9.5 inch Clearview recurve. It offers the same if not MORE wind protection than the bigger one did. Can't comment on the rain issue tho, as it seems to me that you would be catching rain drops that are coming down over the top of the windshield anyway.....maybe I don't understand exactly what you mean, but I even got rain in my face with the big windshield.
Ditto for me went from stock to a 9.5 recurve and think it is a bit better with wind protection. I haven't been in a heavy rain yet so not sure on the rain protection

Old 03-20-2008, 02:16 PM
fettnersa
Tourer

I'm 6'2" and went with a Clearview 10.5 inch with recurve. It has the same protection as the stock 12" so the claim of an extra 1.5" for the recurve is acurate. Very good quaility shield.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 PM
mestude
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fettnersa

I'm 6'2" and went with a Clearview 10.5 inch with recurve. It has the same protection as the stock 12" so the claim of an extra 1.5" for the recurve is acurate. Very good quaility shield.
what about buffeting, i find the stock shield on the RG gives a fair amount of buffeting at 50-65 mph...

Quick Reply: Clearview Windshield Question - Please read if you have one!