Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio in 1999 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 AM
ptompkins
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio in 1999 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

I have a 1999 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, but I love the radios that are in the newer bikes. Any chance I can just plug one of those newer radios into my bike? I would love to have access to the XM Radio, CB Radio (which I already have), CD player, GPS system, Blue tooth, and intercom system.

Any chance I can upgrade the radio without upgrading the bike?

(here is a link to the radio http://www.harley-davidson.com/cp/mo...bmLocale=en_US )

Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Radio in 1999 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Save yourself $1200 + for a HD Factory...

I would start by looking at the Pioneer or Sony Systems that the Aftermarket Builders use... Here's a couple to get you started
http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/index.htm
http://www.deadcentercycles.com/audio.aspx

These systems will out do the OEM H\K system and loads less $$$

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a 99' and found the cheapest way to have all that. Just buy yourself a nice GPS (I bought a Magellan Roadmate 2200T), and XM Inno (that I just use the tape deck and tape thingie XM sends) and everything else you need is there. For a lot less money and a hell of a lot less time you can have the same luxeries as the new ones, but also use them in your car when your not on your bike.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
ptompkins
Stage III

I already have a quest gps on a mount, works great, and I know I can add a disk changer in the trunk, but I wanted to get away from all of that. The Inno is a great idea but I would love to use the controls at my finger tips without taking my hands off the bars. The after market Pioneer and Sony systems look great, but then you lose the innercom and the cb.

I was hoping to find out it is possible to put a 2008 oem harley radio into a 1999 Electra Glide Classic and if anyone on the fourm has seen it done or has have it done themselves.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You can make it work, but there are wiring differences between the '06 and newer HK headunits and the older Ultra CB's. For example, you have a CB on/off switch on the tank console and an intercom switch that is not found on the HK and '03-05 versions.

Absent a response from someone who has done what you propose, get a copy of the '06 and newer wiring diagrams for the Ultra radio, speaker, and handlebar controls and you will be able to see what changes you need to make.

The Base Audio Connector in the back of your radio which allows the handlebar controls is the same as the newer bikes, The differences will be with the Ultra plug that goes into the back of the HD radios, but you can alter what you already have to work with the HD radio.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 PM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

I would say not, at least it would by far NOT be a plug and play kind of install. If you are into electronics andnot afraid to risk popping a highdollar radio, you might be able to get it to play but not 100% correct.If you are like most folks it would not be worthwhile. One big change for the newer radios was the speed sensing on the bikes. The radios use a signal from the bike to adjust the AVC (automatic volume control) as the speed changes, so you would not be able to make this work correctly. IMO this is one of the best features of the OE radios, not to mention integrated hand controls, CB, Icom and aux input for your MP3. I worked several yearsfor the company that supplied the radios prior to HK taking over. You can install a 2003 or newer CD radio (prior to the HK radio, can't recall what model year they became the radio supplier)as a plug and play upgrade and still have your controls,AVC,CB, Icom, etc. The CD radio works great, Irode aLOT of miles testing those radios.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
99igor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out bikertronics. I went with one of his setups and have been happy with it. CD, XM radio, am fm and the hand controls work.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:04 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thisis the only thing I can find that the MOCO offers:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

and this:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-27-2008, 01:25 AM
ptompkins
Stage III

Thanks,
I wonder if that second one still allows the use of the intercom and cb. It's too bad they don't have a kit to upgrade to the new radio with ease.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Diesel9%er
Stage I

1999 Electra glide
There's a car wiring harness that fits this bike
Anyone know ?
I'm trying to put a aftermarket radio in but not using biketronics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio in 1999 Electra Glide Ultra Classic