Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do next????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
rcblackdog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do next????

Hiya folks! I've got a problem that even hd tech hasn't been able to resolve. (would you beleive it?)I was hoping that someone else had encountered this and could shed some light on the situation for me. Here goes:

I have an 07 ultra 6000 miles, stage one, se slip-ons whilegoing down the road the speedo will just stopfor a few milesand sometimes resume back to normal. I haveread that this is mostly attributed to a dirty speed sensor so I have stopped on the side of the road, took it out, cleaned it, and put it back without fixing the problem. Also when the speedo isn't working when you roll upto a light and pull in the clutch the motor quits. I would assume because there is conflicting information from the speedo and the transmission. Bike starts right back up but not only is thatembarassing but it's also dangerous in my opinion!

Took the biketo dealer(third time) since it is under warranty and their problem.They have replaced wiring, speed sensor, and ECM put about 20 miles on the bike and called me to come get it saying that it was fixed. I have since put 15 miles on it and today on my way to work (yep that's right) the speedo quit working again for about 30 seconds before it started back to normal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!I'm about ready to start investigating lemon laws!!! I hate that!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: More Speedo questions!

Have them replace the speedo. The dang thing is plug and play anyway. Should take them 30 minutes. Don't sound good what ever it is... NEW BIKE TIME! That thing is a year old already...LOL J/K I would make a stink that is for sure! all that down time just to have to bring it back... not me my friend. Call the Mo Co. Good luck. post the results.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 PM
rcblackdog
Novice

Well....Here's the update! After another week and a half in the shop and after logging 200 miles on MY bike the dealership called today. Yep it wasn't working when we first took it out but after riding the hell out of your bike we changed the speed sensor again and it looks like it's going to work! Come on now! To me that sounds like taking the easy way out.

Am I being too picky for considering putting the lemon to the moco on this one?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lemon law does sound like an idea, however, that's a bunch of crap to go through. Are there any other dealers or indy shops close to you that could check it out if it still ain't fixed?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

Give it chance, but don't truly believe in it. It might be the speedo, but don't think so when it dies at a stop.
Whatever happens, start a Sequence of Events log immediately. Start logging every bit of information from how the bike is acting, to whom, when & and where you talk to about the problem. Start building your case now. You might need it later in court.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcblackdog

Hiya folks! I've got a problem that even hd tech hasn't been able to resolve. (would you beleive it?)I was hoping that someone else had encountered this and could shed some light on the situation for me. Here goes:

I have an 07 ultra 6000 miles, stage one, se slip-ons whilegoing down the road the speedo will just stopfor a few milesand sometimes resume back to normal. I haveread that this is mostly attributed to a dirty speed sensor so I have stopped on the side of the road, took it out, cleaned it, and put it back without fixing the problem. Also when the speedo isn't working when you roll upto a light and pull in the clutch the motor quits. I would assume because there is conflicting information from the speedo and the transmission. Bike starts right back up but not only is thatembarassing but it's also dangerous in my opinion!

Took the biketo dealer(third time) since it is under warranty and their problem.They have replaced wiring, speed sensor, and ECM put about 20 miles on the bike and called me to come get it saying that it was fixed. I have since put 15 miles on it and today on my way to work (yep that's right) the speedo quit working again for about 30 seconds before it started back to normal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!I'm about ready to start investigating lemon laws!!! I hate that!
I've been through 3 sensors and a speedo on my 05 and it still does it. After reading your post I don't think I'll bother with the ECM.

Rick

Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
rcblackdog
Novice

Yeah, I have to agree that the ECM was a waste as I believe that the speed sensor replacement is just another band aid. Seems kinda odd to go through 2 in 6000 miles. Does your motor stall out when you engage the clutch also?

On the other shop question: There is another shop in the area butit's asister shop and I don't want to use an indy since it's still under warranty.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

any codes?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM
rcblackdog
Novice

P0505

Old 04-11-2008, 06:07 AM
rcblackdog
Novice

Alright folks! Picked the bike up yesterday. The speedo hasn't completely quit yet but has already started jumping around during acceleration usually staying within 5mph of actual speed. Speaking from past experience this is the precursor to total failure. : Any suggestions?????

Quick Reply: What to do next????