Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tie down method on a Uhaul trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best tie down method on a Uhaul trailer?

I'm going with my brother over the weekend to pick up is new(used) bike. He's renting a Uhaul bike trailer to bring it back since it won't be registed and our state doesn't have temp registrations. My question is, what's the best tie down method to make it the most secure?

Thanks.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best tie down method on a Uhaul trailer?

I would recommend soft ties for the bars are 2 tie downs for each side in the front just in case one came loose you would have a backup strap. You might also need to starp down the rear to keep it from moving in case you hit a bump. Most people like to use the ratchet type.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks. I have the Powertye Big Daddy 2" straps so I should be good there.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely use the ratchet type straps and just make sure you use something soft anywhere the straps could rub on the bike. They sell soft straps that you loop around the bars and other areas of the bike frame and then put the strap hooks into these straps to avoid any rubbing issues.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
rrsjs5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Storage owner and U-haul dealer,ratchet strap's will work best..here's some info for ya..

Motorcycle Trailer
Lightweight and easy to tow.
This trailer is not available in all areas – call your local U-Haul location for availability. It is available for local rental only – it must be returned to the location it was rented from.[/align]
More on vehicle trailers[/align]
Capacity
[ul][*]Max load: 950 lbs.[*]Gross vehicle weight: 1,500 lbs. max[*]Empty weight: 550 lbs. [/ul][/align]
Dimensions
[ul][*]Inside: 7'8" x 3'9.5" (LxW) [/ul][/align]
Features
[ul][*]Easy-access loading ramp[*]Heavy-duty tie-down rings[*]Lowest deck[*]Softest ride [/ul][/align]
Recommended moving items
[ul][*]1 rope or sport strap [/ul][/align]
Advisements
Your towing vehicle:
[ul][*]Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.[*]Must weigh at least 1,500 lbs. (curb weight)[*]Must have Class 1 tow hitch (1,500 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating)[*]Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (2,000 lbs. minimum)[*]Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"[*]Must have external mirrors on both sides[*]Must have fully operational lighting[*][/ul][/align]

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tie it to the roof of your car.

Ok, ok...

You didn't mention what kind of bike it is, but the soft ties (nylon straps with loops on each end) are a must. Avoid connecting to parts that are bolted on if you can help it, stick with the frame. Do NOT use the handlebars.

I've had good luck on non-fairing bikes by running the soft ties through the triple trees on the front and either the swingarm or passenger pegs. I have my front tiedowns pulling down and forward, the rear ones down and back.

Finally, adjusting the tiedowns correctly is as important as where you put them. Use enough tension on the front to collapse the fork springs a little which will keep them tight when you hit bumps or dips.

I also put my bike in neutral and have the kickstand up.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
BlackBagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley sells some loop straps that you can attach around the Handlebars or wheels. Cheap! like $8

Hog Ties® Soft Hooks

New, wider Soft Hooks to be used in conjunction with the new super strong Hog Ties®. These soft hooks prevent scratching of handlebars, fairings, etc. and have a whopping 5,700 pounds of tensile strength.

94650-98

I use them all the time, Their tiedowns have loops built in also...

Mike

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't tie off to the handlebars, you are just asking for trouble there. I don't collapse the front forks either. Unless you collapse the front forks completely you will experience strap shock which is the slack in the strap when the fork compresses beyond where you have it compressed. This could cause the strap to fail. I secure to the front forks at the fender mounting point. I use 2 ratchet straps on each side. If you are able, wrap a strap over and around the rear tire and tie off to the sides. this prevents the the rear from hopping.

Too bad you didn't live closer, I have a trailer you could borrow.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I do live close.....I'm in MA.

ORIGINAL: soos

I don't tie off to the handlebars, you are just asking for trouble there. I don't collapse the front forks either. Unless you collapse the front forks completely you will experience strap shock which is the slack in the strap when the fork compresses beyond where you have it compressed. This could cause the strap to fail. I secure to the front forks at the fender mounting point. I use 2 ratchet straps on each side. If you are able, wrap a strap over and around the rear tire and tie off to the sides. this prevents the the rear from hopping.

Too bad you didn't live closer, I have a trailer you could borrow.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I know, but on the South Shore and I am on the North Shore.

Quick Reply: Best tie down method on a Uhaul trailer?