Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tires -- Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
scaires as hell
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about tires -- Ultra Classic

Can you tell me about how you ride, what rear tire pressure you use ect. When I and others get 14,000+ out of Lops on the rear of 07 ultras.

Ride on !!!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

OK, I am stupid. What is the difference between the stock Dunlop and the Elite 3?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 42 psi in the front and 44-46 in the rear,two up 60% of the time and I check air pressure once a week at least,my dealer says thats normal mileage. The last bike I had withbias tires was my 1500 gold wing,I was getting 18000-22000 miles out of arear tire and I rode that harder then the ULTRA,I'mdisappointed with the rear tire wear,I don't beat this bike at all and have a very light hand on the throttle.I'll takethis compared to my 1800 wing hows 3000-6000 milessound for a set of radials.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tphillips
So I was on the money, from what I had heard, about doing 2 rear tires to every one front replaced.

I'm not even sure Metzler makes an 85 series for the rear tires on our bikes (by the way, great color combo on yours -- great taste on your part as well...).
I do 2 rear tires to 1 front tire..............this fall I'll be due for front and rear tires. When I replace a rear tire, it's well worn and has no life left at all. One year it was pretty much a slick...........I killed it with a 2000 mile.

Metzler goes by standard sizing...........so what you want is a 140 rear tire for your bike, that is equal to the 85 size that HD uses.

Steve

Old 04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve,
I'd get a lot more miles if I didn't change at the wear indicators,I ride in Maine three or four times a season,would not want to be on slicks in the rain.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Not to butt in on the thread, but Burchwhite talked about the police run flat tires. Are they available for the general public and are they rated for an ultra? Myself like Steve, I get 12500 out of a rear tire. Replaced the origional at 12500 and now at 22000 I'm starting to look at another one. Dan

Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been running the metzler 880 touring on rear for 8 years I actually get
2 to 3 k more longevity over the dunlops.

But i run the 140 series with. Mine came stock with the 120 series.
Well by the end of the season you can upgrade.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

I hadn't owned my '04 police model EG very long but put 9K miles on it,when I replaced the rear tire at a local HD store. Another 9,000 miles or so later, I took it to the same dealer and the service writer came out to tell me they had put the 90/130 mm tire on the first time but would put the 85/140 (the tire specified for the bike) on this time. Been using them ever since (another 35K or so).

You can: (a) insist they put the correct tire on; (b) bring the error to their attention and geta gift certificate for their mistake; or (c) say nothing.

If there isn't a load rating/safety issue, I'd be inclined to ride the bike as is and get a gift certificate from the dealership.

Steve: How much tread depth is left on your rear tire after 12,500? I ask because I get about 9K and get close to the wear indicators when I swap tires--frankly, I don't want to be riding in heavy rain or through puddles with less than 2/32" of tread depth (which was the tread depth used for passing bike inspection when I've taken the MSF Experienced Rider Course the last two years).

Yeah -- I'm inclined to at least to do (b), may do (a), but definitely will not do (c). Thanks for the input....

Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

ORIGINAL: tphillips
So I was on the money, from what I had heard, about doing 2 rear tires to every one front replaced.

I'm not even sure Metzler makes an 85 series for the rear tires on our bikes (by the way, great color combo on yours -- great taste on your part as well...).
I do 2 rear tires to 1 front tire..............this fall I'll be due for front and rear tires. When I replace a rear tire, it's well worn and has no life left at all. One year it was pretty much a slick...........I killed it with a 2000 mile.

Metzler goes by standard sizing...........so what you want is a 140 rear tire for your bike, that is equal to the 85 size that HD uses.

Steve

Steve:

Thanks for the info. I would have thought the "experts" in doing tire replacements would have known that. Heck, I'm all for putting more tire patch on the ground -- wouldn't that have been the trick? Again, thanks for the information....

Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm still on the original rear tire as delivered brand new. I have 13500 miles on it now and it looks like it'll make 15000 easy. But they do ride pretty hard. A softer ride would allow more tire squirm and less mileage. Your choice.

Quick Reply: Question about tires -- Ultra Classic