Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Fairing Owners Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Fairing Owners Please help

I'm just about ready to buy an aftermarket fairing for my roadking classic and I have some questions for you folks that have already purchased them.
[align=left]In cooler months how much of a differnce is the weather protection of the fairing versus the normal roadking windscreen? Some folks are saying that they can withstand temps that are about 20 degrees colder with the fairing, is that true?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]My other question deals with the gap between the fairing and the headlight nacelle. Does wind come blasting through that tiny gap between the nacelle and fairing? And if so can you notice it? [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Now for my last question, have you driven an ultra or streetglide and if so can you tell much of a difference between those bikes and yours now with the aftermarket fairing? Difference being with the protection that the fairings give you.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]And when you answer me please let me know what fairing you purchased and if you'd buy another one in the future or if you'd go with someone elses fairing. I'm leaning towards the Hoppe one, but I like that the Dragonfly can use the Harley accesories (shields and lowers).. that is pretty cool. I also like that they will paint the fairing to match your bike. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I appreciate everyones help.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Thanks, Ralph[/align]

Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
kmmcgra
Tourer
Default RE: Aftermarket Fairing Owners Please help

Yes riding in colder weather is easier. The hands are more protected. No wind between gap. There really isn't one the backside of the fairing. I've driven a SG and I can't tell much difference other then no gauges. Most of the big name aftermarket fairings are close to the same size of a Harley one. Most use all harley accessories. I got lucky and found my Dragonfly for half price(brand new). I was ready to pull the trigger on a new one. I would buy again even at full price. I did a lot of research before getting mine and I didn't really see any real bad complaints about the big 3...Deadcenter/Dragonfly/Hoppe. Now there are many others fairing vendors out there and they seem to be cheaper price wise. Those seem to be getting rave reviews too. I went with Dragonfly because I like the look of the inside and the 6x9 speakers. Just a personal preference.
Most RK owners I see comment say they never take their fairing off.
There is a Deadcenter one for sale in the classified now.
One thing I did notice is these fairings add considerable weight on the front end. Not a big deal but changes riding characteristics a little. I'd be interested in others comments on that.
Good luck....[/align]
Here's my bike with the fairing on...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First let me say thatmost of the aftermarket fairings are similar in shape and quality. Some have design features that appeal to some and that othersdon't like. Some lock, some don't. Some have 4 5" speakers, some 6 1/2, and some 6x9. some take a 3 hole HD windshield some require their own 5 or 6 hole. Some come not able to accept a radio at all.

You must deside which stereo system you like and if you want to take the fairing out of the box ready to go or do some stuff yourself. If you want guages they need to also be detachable (disconnectable) if your going to remove it from time to time.

For example. I wanted to pick my own stereo, not the one packaged in the kit. I needed a two tone paint job (which was less expensive from a body shop and didn't half to worry about sending it back if it didn't match. I wanted component speakers (seperate tweeter/ woofer) and I had a long cold winter to putz around with it.

I ordered my Firebagger/Tsukayu fairing, unpainted, stereo ready, (some other manufacturers offer similar)added my stereo, antenna, windshield bag, windshield trim, speakers, 12V acc and had it painted two tone. It is a lockable fiberglass model. I have about $1,500 into it.Mine only comes off if servicing the bike requires it.

I have seen similar ones as high as $2500 with all mine has.

Decide what you want, how much you want to involve yourself, and double check all the features so you get everything you want.
It is a costly investment you only should have to do once , so do it right.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
scarygt
Road Master

kmmcgra,

Isn't the bottom of the dragonfly kind of open? From the pictures that I see it seemed like it was and I was wondering if when you wash the bike if water could get up to where the radio is and ruin it; can the water get up through that hole onto the radio?

Another question I have for you is about the way the fairing attaches. I don't mind that it isn't really a quick release fairing, but it sounds like it replaces the rubber window gromets with a spacer or something??? I'm thinking that I'd lose my stock window quick release stuff if it replaces it. Could you describe to me what you need to do when you want to go back to the windshied. And how long does it take you to make your king a king again?

Thanks, Ralph

PS: Your bike looks great!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
DanB
Tourer

Ralph..

I have a friend who is selling exactly what you are wanting. You will find there are 2 or 3 different makes of the aftermarket fairing...apparently the Dead Center Company is one of the best. I understand the cost with the radio and speakers is around $1600.00, not including shipping and handling. Painting would be another cost. Hank bought his last year for 03 Road King. It is gel coat black (stock)..he put the Harley leather fairing cover on it right after he got it last summer and so it is in perfect shape. He has just bought an 08 Ultra and traded his 03 Road King in..but he took the fairing off. He is asking $1000.00. You will never find a price cheaper than that for this item.

Good luck.

You may email Hank at

2rio@cebridge.net

I posted this information yesterday and already have had several inquiries regarding it.

DanB

Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Hagar,

Is your fairing completly closed (so no openings to the electronics from below)?

I've been thinking of going with dragonfly because they will paint to match my bike and that is one less thing that I need to worry about. You said you had a body shop paint yours... how much should I expect to pay a body shop to dofront and back of fairing and maybe even two tone on the front? I can get the Hoppe Quadzilla for 1300 on ebay and if I can get it painted at a body shop for a resonable price than it would cost me less than the dragonfly.

Please share your thoughts and maybe also a pic or two of your bike if you have some readily available.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-08-2008, 10:11 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Is this the newer style deadcenter fairing.. I thought I read somewhere that they once had a problem with the brackets breaking becuase they were fiberglass mounts. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And heck yes that is a great deal. Could you or your friend send me a bunch of pictures of the fairing from every angle.. You can send them to my email: rshred1@yahoo.com

Does your friend still have the deadcenter part number for this fairing?

I'm interested, but I'd like to see some pics.

Thanks, Ralph

ORIGINAL: DanB

Ralph..

I have a friend who is selling exactly what you are wanting. You will find there are 2 or 3 different makes of the aftermarket fairing...apparently the Dead Center Company is one of the best. I understand the cost with the radio and speakers is around $1600.00, not including shipping and handling. Painting would be another cost. Hank bought his last year for 03 Road King. It is gel coat black (stock)..he put the Harley leather fairing cover on it right after he got it last summer and so it is in perfect shape. He has just bought an 08 Ultra and traded his 03 Road King in..but he took the fairing off. He is asking $1000.00. You will never find a price cheaper than that for this item.

Good luck.

You may email Hank at

2rio@cebridge.net

I posted this information yesterday and already have had several inquiries regarding it.

DanB

Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

ORIGINAL: scarygt

I'm just about ready to buy an aftermarket fairing for my roadking classic and I have some questions for you folks that have already purchased them.
[align=left]In cooler months how much of a differnce is the weather protection of the fairing versus the normal roadking windscreen? A LOT. I CAN RIDE IN TEMPS AS LOW AS I WANT TO, I AM IN VIRGINIA AND SELDOM GET MUCH BELOW 25 HERE. Some folks are saying that they can withstand temps that are about 20 degrees colder with the fairing, is that true?[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]My other question deals with the gap between the fairing and the headlight nacelle. Does wind come blasting through that tiny gap between the nacelle and fairing? And if so can you notice it? I DO NOT SEE A GAP ON MY FAIRING DO YOU? [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Now for my last question, have you driven an ultra or streetglide and if so can you tell much of a difference between those bikes and yours now with the aftermarket fairing? Difference being with the protection that the fairings give you. NO NOT REALLY, EXCEPT THAT I CAN TAKE MY FAIRING OFF IN 5 MINUTES AND RIDE A STREET CRUISER AND MY ULTRA FRIENDS CANNOT [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]And when you answer me please let me know what fairing you purchased and if you'd buy another one in the future or if you'd go with someone elses fairing. I BOUGHT THE DEAD CENTER CYCLE FAIRING. THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE BUT THIS ONE I WOULD BUY AGAIN AND AGAIN. FIT AND FINISH ARE AS GOOD AS THE MOCO IMO AND IT HAS MANY FEATURES. IT ALSO ACCEPTS ALL HD ACCESSORIES INCLUDING WINDSHIELDS. I GOT IT WITH THE STEREO AND IT IS KILLER! IT IS ALSO CLOSED AT THE BOTTOM, MAKING IT DIFFICULT FOR WATER TO GAIN ENTRY IN THE RAIN OR WHILE WASHING. THEIR PAINT IS SPOT ON, ALTHOUGH I HAD MINE PAINTED BY A FRIEND. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND HAVE THE FACTORY , WHERE EVER YOU GET IT, PAINT IT. IF INTERESTED OPM ME AND I'LL TELL YOU WHERE YOU CAN GET THE DEAD CENTER AT A 20% OFF. I'm leaning towards the Hoppe one, but I like that the Dragonfly can use the Harley accesories (shields and lowers).. that is pretty cool. I also like that they will paint the fairing to match your bike. [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]I appreciate everyones help.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Thanks, Ralph[/align]

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Thanks for the info BigDaddyMike.. your bike looks awesome! Do you notice any rattle or odd vibrationswith the DC hooked up to your quick release windshield location?

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Nope, solid as a rock. I did replace the rubber grommets on the windshield mountsa before putting the fairing on (about $8.00 at the dealer) and haven't replaced them again in the last year. unlike some other folks, I do take my fairing off now and then.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Fairing Owners Please help