Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King - ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Road King - ignition switch

Hey all,

Can someone take a look at the ignition switch on thier RK and tell me if there is a small screw that holds the 'lock barrel' into the switch?

I went to lock the ignition switch on my bike and the 'barrel' came out of the lock assembly.

From looking at the barrel, and the switch - it looks like a small screw came out - but there is not a diagram in the H-D manual. I called the local H-D parts guys and they don't have a diagram either...they say I need to replace the entire switch.

From the looks of it - I can remove the pin that holds the cover on the switch and put a small screw thru the switch and into the lock barrel, but I would like it if someone could could verify thats what needs to be done prior to me dis-assembling the switch cover. From what I can see - when the switch cover is opened - there should be a small screw head visible (going into the lock cylinder) at the 3-o'clock position while seated on the bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:43 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King - ignition switch

I do see something in there, but without taking of the cover I can't tell. I'd check that out if I were you

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

Thanks Jonny.

I think I can get it back together - but will need to find a small-*** screw to make it happen.

H-D wants $92 bucks for the ingnition switch & I just can't see dropping that kinda money until after I try to fix what I got. Heck - I haven't even ever tried to lock the ignition on the bike until yesterday - it was the first time I had ever even put the key in.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Got me wondering now [&:]I rely on the security sytem and never use the ign lock [:@]I'm assuming your bike is no longer under warranty? I'd like to take mine off a few jumps at the local MX track to make sure nothing falls off [8D]

Old 04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JonnyD

Got me wondering now [&:]I rely on the security sytem and never use the ign lock [:@]I'm assuming your bike is no longer under warranty? I'd like to take mine off a few jumps at the local MX track to make sure nothing falls off [8D]

Mine's outta warranty - it's a '99.

I bought it about 18-months ago and shoulda tried the key before now I guess. Oh well...

- I think your idea to do some jumps is great. I've kinda wondered how these things would handle in the air.

Try a couple of nac-nac's, a superman...and some of the other stuff the MotoX guys are doing.
Make sure and get some video of it too. I would pay to see that.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

This is how I would have rode it 25 years ago.......

Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
framer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

Hey all,

Can someone take a look at the ignition switch on thier RK and tell me if there is a small screw that holds the 'lock barrel' into the switch?

I went to lock the ignition switch on my bike and the 'barrel' came out of the lock assembly.

From looking at the barrel, and the switch - it looks like a small screw came out - but there is not a diagram in the H-D manual. I called the local H-D parts guys and they don't have a diagram either...they say I need to replace the entire switch.

From the looks of it - I can remove the pin that holds the cover on the switch and put a small screw thru the switch and into the lock barrel, but I would like it if someone could could verify thats what needs to be done prior to me dis-assembling the switch cover. From what I can see - when the switch cover is opened - there should be a small screw head visible (going into the lock cylinder) at the 3-o'clock position while seated on the bike.

Any help would be appreciated.
I went out and took a gander at mine...looks like a 'pin' rather than a 'screw' head. Looks like the same diameter 'pin' that holds the switch cover in place. Good luck

Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

any luck with this? I would actually like to purposely remove the lock cylinder so I can put it in a new ignition switch. Mine has the floppy cover syndrome; the spring thingy that keeps the cover latched is gone so it flops in the wind. I'd like to get a new ignition switch, but put the lock barrel in the new switch so I don't have to rekey my fork lock and bags, or vice versa

Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Are ya kidding me? This threads been dead nine years! Start a fresh thrrad, OP!