Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS or Road Atlas?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS or Road Atlas?

I am just curious. If or when you take a trip, do you use a Road Atlas or a GPS?

I like the map. For one, my destination is usually an area, not a specific address. Second, I constantly change my route, you know looking for scenic byways or points of interest on bill boards and such.

Not saying I won't ever get a GPS, just not right now. I think it takes some of the adventure out of riding out so many days this direction, looping around, and riding same amount of days back home a different route.

Also, if your so inclined to reply, maybe state your age. Might be interesting to know if there's a difference between the more "seasoned" riders and the not so ones.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 AM
tbrown2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GPS or Road Atlas?

I just stick with the atlas. I like the freedom of just getting the route close and then figuring it out as I go along. There is nothing to say you couldn't do that with GPS but why pay the extra $$$. I am very close to 50 for your data analysis.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:11 AM
capt775
Road Master

Thanks Tom, I forgot to add that I am 49 myself.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:58 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

GPS or Road Atlas?
They both have their place
The atlas in the bag and the GPS mounted within visibility.
The atlas makes for a good dart board to plan the next day of the road trip
the GPS to assure the most scenic routes available as well as all the POIs, gas, food and lodging
the GPS will do all that has been mentioned above as well as so much more.
I thinkone of the thingsI like best is it will take me down roads I would have never seen otherwise.
The settings are at your control and can be changed with a click of a screen button.
but it doesn't end there with a zumo 550.
another thing that's cool is it saves your route and or trip and it can be saved and or sent to someone else on your computer and then downloaded so someone else can ride the same trip or modify it or only use a part.

Easy to use, I bought mine just a week or so of heading out on a 48 state ride, 10,146 miles and 35 days. Made it up as I went, less than 1000 miles on the superslab and more National Parks, State Parks and Parkways. Never wondered where the next gas was or where to get whatever kind of food I wanted to eat and when I was near the end of a day of riding all I had to do is decide how far I wanted to ride before calling it a day and I could pick from a list of lodging options, with phone numbers, distance and how long it would take to get there.

That's just scratching the surface though.
And to be fair, I'm only using part of the capabilities that the zumo 550 offers.
check it out at http://www.garmin.com/zumo/
I held off for a long time because I didn't like the idea of my location being known to what ever powers control the GPS waves and frankly I still don't but, on a scale the bennies out weigh the resistance to big brother

oh, I'm 54

chappy

Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 AM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both. GPS is too handy not too take advantage of.
And I'm 44.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:07 AM
capt775
Road Master

Chappy, thanks for the reply. After reading it I may be leaning harder to the both catagory now. I wasn't aware that they did all of those things.

I must admit though, I like taking a pencil at the end of a days riding and trace the route I took on the map. Months later sometimes when I get the cabin fever, I take the Atlas out and look back on the trips. Read the small notes that I made and ride 'em all over again in my mind. Hopefully I'll be able to do that years down the road when I quit riding. Even pass the book off to my Sons. I gonna check out your link for sure.

Mike

Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Y'see, that's the beauty of the GPS - it'll let ya focus on the area, rather than how many miles ta the next turn, what the name of that town wuz, etc. - ya simply go, an' turn as indicated. Don't like the looks of the road, or see an interestin' sign? That's cool - jest go. The GPS will recalculate yer route an' when it's all done, git ya right back ta whar yer goin'. Lookin' fer a place that a buddy told ya 'bout, but all he remembers is that it wuz near sum intersection? No sweat - plug in the street names an' it'll take ya thar - but it's also a possibility that the NAME of the place is in the database, too.

I travel in mah job, an' got mah first GPS 'bout 8 years ago. Like many, ah thought ah'd never really want/need one...but ah wuz wrong. I can always turn it off if it bugs me - but fer a coupla hunnert bucks ah kin also have the peace of mind of knowin' ah ain't likely ta git lost. Sure - the database is inputted by humans, so from time ta time you'll have an error - but it's saved mah tail WAY more often than it's misguided me!

Oh, yeah....53....

Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Andouille
Cruiser

Both, I use the map to plan the trip and then plot it on the GPS. On my last trip the GPS saved me in finding gas on the Natchez trace, if not for the GPS, I would not have made it to the pump. I really like plotting my route on maps, but the GPS really helps in finding gas, hotels/motels, food, entertainment and if needed medical facilities. Oh, buy the way, I'm right at 60, so age is not a factor.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Tree Man
Cruiser

57 here and I use both. GPS is handy for finding gas and lodging. Plus it lets you know when your turns a coming up when in a new area.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

44 here and both. If leaving my local area I'll do a map recon first and then plan the trip in the GPS. Don't always follow the GPS but it is in there if I need to back track or find services. They really go together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS or Road Atlas?