Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage rack - detachable or sissy bar mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 AM
kpshooter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage rack - detachable or sissy bar mount

I am looking to get a luggage rack for my RK as I am planning more travel this year. My question is which luggage rack to get - the detachable two-up rack (I already have the docking hardware installed) or the rack that attaches to the passenger sissy bar. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 AM
theroadking
Intermediate
Default RE: Luggage rack - detachable or sissy bar mount

I opted for the detachable rack its a little more $$ but being able to take it of on the local rides easy is a big + in my opinion, a buddy of mine has the sissy bar mount and it makes the sissy bar to bulky when not on the bike and I think it is smaller. That's just my opinion I like the detachable rack.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the sissybar with the rack mounted to it.
The plus is , I usually ride alone (75% of the time) and it comes off quick, also mounts fast for when the wife comes along.
If I had to start from scratch , I would go with both docking sets and go with the separate pieces.
If you are going to do alot of travel , I think the 2 docking sets would spread the weight load over a larger area , and handle more items easier.
Just my thoughts if I were to do it again.
Mick

Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the sissy bar mounted one. I like it, and its easy on easy off when you take the bar off, but its also alittle smaller and alittle higher (I believe) If I would do it again, I would buy the rear docking hardware and the detatchable one. Plus if you have classic bags (leather covered hard bags) the v emblem hits the top of the bags

Frank

Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

I had the rack that was mounted to the detach. sissy bar. Had no problems with weight, loaded my T-bag and saddlebags for out west trips no problem. When not riding 2-up it comes off. Everything all in one.When the new bike gets here I'll do the same setup. IMO

Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the rack on the sissybar. Stays on 24/7, unless I wash my scoot, which is rare. comes in handy when I'm out and need to get some "supplys" before returning home, or where ever I end up that night.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detachable 2 up. Just seems like to much stress on the sissy bar and1 set of docking hardware (loaded) to me. JMHO. I have the stealth rack on my SG.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 AM
jakester
Tourer

Separate detach....Stronger/larger/more options.....Just my 2 cents....

Jakester...Tim...

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

I'm probably gonna get the rack that mounts to the backrest. The Mrs has her own bike, so she really doesn't ride on the back of mine too much. The backrest will stay off my bike for the most part, so the rack would probably stay off also. I would probably only use the rack when the Mrs is ridin' with me, or if I go on a long trip. Either way, the backrest would be back on the bike. I just think it would be easier havin' everything attached as one piece.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain

I opted for the sissy bar mounted rack. I like the fact that if the OL isn't with me, I can take the whole thing off. The mounting hardware for the other rack seemed too bulky to me. The only thing I don't like is the V emblem hitting my leather bags. I am thinking there may be a way to take the emblem off but haven't put much thought into it yet. As far as weight goes, I've had mine loaded down and haven't ever had any problems.

Quick Reply: Luggage rack - detachable or sissy bar mount