Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break-in???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
menace
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in???

Awaiting the arrival of 2008 FLHX. Any suggestions of the best way to break it in?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Break-in???

You'll probably get a lot of differing opinion, but I'll give you mine. To me, the first fifty is crucial, keep it under power, vary the speed, don't let it lug, yet don't push the RPMs too high. This is not the time to see if the rev limiter really works. The next 450, I pretty much ride it like I would on an average basis, but I still continue to do the same, adding some power, still not pushing any limits. After 500, which on my new one occurred last weekend, I drop a gear or two and ride it like I stole it, just because I came off an 80" shovel and I wanted to feel the torque. At about 650 miles, I found the rev limiter (no tach on the Road King), don't plan on doing that often, but now I know where it is. All is well now and a lot of my top end and clutch noise is quieting down andmy little darling ('08 Road King) is so fun to ride ...............

Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

There are a number of theories on this.
When you pick the new scoot up the dealer will walk you thru the recommended break in. What RPM you should stay under.
I would say do not beat it too bad HAHA and certainly do not lug the motor.
I made sure I varied RPM and did not lug...... I certainly did not baby it nor did I red line it.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took a little more agressive approach on mine. Again the first 20-50 miles are the most critical.....I would run mine up to about 4,000 rpm in a gear, then let it slow itself down with engine braking.....did that several time, then do the same thing but going up to about 4,500 rpm and engine braking for slow down. Then ride it like normal being sure not to lug it and not to hold a steady speed for any length of time. I changed oil and filter after the first 150 miles, then took it into the dealer for the 1,000 mile service. There is a link to an article on this site somewhere detailing why a harder breakin is better for getting the rings seated, but I don't have the link readily available.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 PM
hardav23
Tourer

Just broke mine in using the 30mph to 60mph in 3rd gear 10 times, after that run it like you would normally.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM
SCRider
Cruiser

Like Frog said, the first 50 miles are the most critical. After that I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just vary your speed and RPM's. I have a knowlegeable friend that says to "Ride it like you stole it" off the showroom floor, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer

Yeah there will be may different ideas and replies. My take is this Ive had over 8 new Harleys over the years and broke em in all the same just like the 08 FLHTC Ive got now with 800 miles on it the first few hundred I basically baby it then after start bringing it up thru all the gears with a little more power, b never lugging the motor! thenat about 400 or so miles start riding it a little more agressive, even getting into 6th gear!! then after 500 miles I ride it not like I stole it but like im trying to get away!! After about 600 miles Im all in it basically runnin thru all the gears up to about 70 MPH . At 800 Im riding it like Im thinking of stealing it, this weeken Ill have about 900 Miles on it Ill get 1K sevice done on Sat then after that Ill ride it like I stole it and robbed the bank!! Ive never had a problem with my bikes breaking them in that way and I never, never abuse them!! Always Synthetic Oil in all three holes and clean as a whistle!! Just my 2 Cents!! Bill

Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like the others, the first 50 is key. I would make sure you pickup the bike when traffic is light, so you won't be forced into a situation which causes you to exceed the rpm limits you plan for.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Break in the bike by the book,not committee. If something should gowrong and you didn't follow the book, who are you going to call when your warranty claim is rejected?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:03 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made sure I stayed around town for my first couple of hundred miles. I was careful not to lug the engine and not to push it too hard. I also tried to avoid the highway or any place I would stay at a constant speed for too long. After that, I ride it pretty hard. After 5500 miles, everything seems to be running like it should.

Quick Reply: Break-in???