Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fender Tri-bar light extension wiring dilemma

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear Fender Tri-bar light extension wiring dilemma

Alright here's the situation:

I've put on my bike the Rear Fender Tri-bar light extension and I want to also put the Bullet Rear Turn signal and License Plate Relocation kit on as well.

HOWEVER,

The rear turn signal license plate relocation destructions say to disconnect the wiring socket of any rear fender tip light so that the license plate light would then go into that once occupied socket. Weeeeell, that ain't good because then the new Tri-bar light that I just put on wouldn't operate because it goes into that socket so it will illuminate, so what can I wire the license plate wiring to so that I can have BOTH the Tri-bar light AND the license plate light work simultaneously? Should I piggy back(splice) the wiring from both into that one socket, and if so, is the fuse big enough to handle the load?

Help?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear Fender Tri-bar light extension wiring dilemma

I am really glad you asked this question because I wanted to do the exact same thing. I've already put the bullets on with the tag relocation and love the way it looks. The only reason I haven't donethe tri-bar extensionyet is the wiring issue. I hope you get someeasy fix answers so I can get mine on order. Goodluck.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Darren, you CAN safely splice the LED wiring into thelicense plate wiring and use the tail light assembly. The chamber in the tail light assemblyis the upper left one with three contacts (per the turn signal/license plate relo kit instructions); the license plate light uses two of the pins--the far left and far right--the middle would be empty. The middle one is where you want the brake light function of the fender extension LED wire to go. You will need a female socket to attach to theLED brake light wireto insert into the license plate three wire connector.

My Street Glidefacia/LED andturn signal/license plate relo kit has been wired this way for 2+ years--the only diff is my LED is run light only--no brake light.

If you PM PapaTravis he can give you the PN for the female socket to use since he did something essentially the same (using the upper left chamber in the tail light assembly) for power his SG LED thatDOES have the run and brake light functions.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Herer is how I did mine on my Road King:

Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Many thanks to Carl and Eddie for your replies. I appreciate it very much.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That works....I did the same thing 6 months ago and no problems with the fuses

Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Darren, IIRC the three pin chamber in the tail light assembly is, left to right, ground, brake, run. You can confirm this with PapaTravis since he wired his run/brake light LED there.

Also, as you see in Fast Eddie's excellent picture, the open center chamber on the connector that plugs into the tail light assembly--that's where the brake light from your LED goes.

Fast Eddie's picture labels also provide the PN for the female socket that you will need to attach to the brake wire from the LED: 73191-96.

Whether you add the connectors shown in Fast Eddie's pic, or use thelicense plate lightconnector and wires, splice the ground and run lights from the LED to those, and add the socket to the brake light wire in the LED to plug into the license plate light connector, you should be good to go.

Be sure to post pics; should be a sweet set-up.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

I think I'm all set. Gonna look tomorrow at the HD shop to see if they have the parts to fabricate this one way or the other. I had originally planned to splice the new License plate light hardware INTO the Tri-bar light wiring and then plugthis into the socket in the Tail Lamp Base but wasn't sure of the load it would generate. You fellas insight has certainly given me a road to travel to get this project accomplished and for this I thank you.

I just wish I'd put the Rear Turn signal license plate relocation hardware on FIRST before putting the Tribar light setup on because the rear fender brace that came with the Tri-bar light setup doesn't leave much room for me to stick my hand/arm up into the fender without removing the back wheel now.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it on a lift and unbolt the shocks at the swingarm....you'll have plenty of space then

Old 04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kdietz

Put it on a lift and unbolt the shocks at the swingarm....you'll have plenty of space then
Why didn't I think about that! I'll just shim the wheel with a floor jack and jack it back into position when finished. Thanks Karl!.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Fender Tri-bar light extension wiring dilemma