Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tweeter Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 AM
ksalomon
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter Install

I am just about to installsome pr-15 tweeters in my 07 FLHX but I have a question. Since these come with a 2 way crossover, I was assuming that I would connect the new tweeters to the hf on the crossover and my hog-tunes to the lf on the crossover.

I then read a document on the hog-tunes site that says do not use the lf output from the crossover. http://www.hogtunes.com/tech_files/Tweeter%20Wiring.pdf.

The wiring diagram shows the crossover input simply splicedinto the speaker connections with the tweeters being connected to the hf. I always though the reason for using different speakers, was to keep each one operating withintheir oprimalfrequency range. If the original speakers arebypassing the crossover, doesn't this defeat the purpose of adding thetweeters,since the original speakerswill be receiving the original signal with all the high frequencys?

I hopethis makes sence, I am not really an electronics guy.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Tweeter Install

I just soldered mine onto the two extra tabs on the speakers instead of splicing the wires. Its been working like a champ.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 AM
itsmyforte
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tweeter Install

You can connect the hogtunes in parallel with the network input in any way you see fit, soldering would be the easiest. I would assume the crossover that came with the tweeters is part of a component system. If you put the network first you could hook the LF section out onthe networkto the original woofers, however It was obviously not made to do that becuase who knows what speaker the network was made for. I don't understand why one would add tweeters a few inches away from a coaxial speaker unless you disconnected the originaltweeters first. I don't see how these can integrate together very well acoustically. Try it and see if you like it.