Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Down tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Turn Down tips

Ok, here's my questions:

1- Will turn down tips on my SE performance slipons sound different or quieter than my current billet slash cuts.

2- Do you think Turndowns will look good on a Street Glide?

3- I thought the HD turn downs looked a little tinney as compared to my billet slash cuts. Are there better looking aftermarket turn downs available?

Frank

Old 02-16-2006, 11:55 PM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turn Down tips

Turn down exhaust is cool, but it does throw up a lot of ground debris. I personally like the slash cut, with the longer on the bottom. Add a lay down plate and an angled taillight lens along with the slant on the bags. It forms a cool diagonal line that lets everything flow. I don't think you will notice any less sound, It will be echoing off of the pavement. These are my thoughts. I don't know much about the aftermarket pipes.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,791 Likes on 1,082 Posts

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

Ok, here's my questions:

1- Will turn down tips on my SE performance slipons sound different or quieter than my current billet slash cuts.

3- I thought the HD turn downs looked a little tinney as compared to my billet slash cuts. Are there better looking aftermarket turn downs available?

Frank
On the Harley pipes you can also turn them out which looks pretty cool.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine turned out. IMHO it looks very very cool. I don't have a picture of them yet but if I get time I will snap a few in the garage tomorrow. Its covered in dust but you will get the point. I personaly think it give a stock car type sound...

Old 02-17-2006, 12:40 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They will be quieter and they will keep the bike dirty and dusty by blowing dust on it all the time.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:16 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

It might be just my opinion, but how would you like to follow someone that has turndowns on there bike, and you get blasted every time they come across dust on the road? Turn outs or straight back would be much better.

Bob

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

Ok, here's my questions:

Frank

Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I had the Turn Downs on my SE mufflers when I got the bike, I thought I would try the 8.75" slash cuts to see if it changed the sound and kicked up lest dirt. To my surprise the sound of my bike is pretty much the same and it still gets just as dusty as before. My dad also has a 06 Ultra with the Turn Downs on the SE mufflers, side by side you can't tell the difference in sound between the 2 bikes. Even with the slash cuts your still blowing exhaust on the ground which will kick up the dirt, only thing that might produce less dirt are slash up's.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
carsoni
Tourer

a buddy of mine has down turned pipes,, IWILL NOT ride behind him

Old 02-17-2006, 01:06 PM
ghowell
Advanced

I have Vance & Hines Turndowns on my 06 Ultra. I think they sound about the same as the ovals from outside the bike. On the bike, I believe they're a little quieter. My wife was worried about sound when she listened from off the bike. On it, she loves them. I haven't noticed any increase in dust or dirt on the bike. And, I ride in groups a lot - so far no one has said anything about riding behind me. On the contrary, I get a lot of compliments on the sound. Go with what you like and have fun!

Old 02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok here are the pics I promised. They look like hell but the bikes been sitting for a couple of months, you get the drift..

Quick Reply: Turn Down tips