Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police run flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
thefixer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police run flat tire

I am going to replace my rear tire this weekend on my FLHTPI. It is a run flat tire,and there is a sticker on the fender that says "not recommended for two up riding".
Here is my question, I like the idea of a tire that may give me an advantage in case of a flat or blowout, but I would like to run two up once in a while.
Has anyone run two up with this police tire?
Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
RPMC312
Intermediate
Default RE: Police run flat tire

Police MC's are normally ridden with one person, so all the tests done on this tire have been solo only. It is my understanding that since thistire been tested this way, for liability reasons, they say solo only. I have used these tires since 2002 and normally ride 2 up with no problems. I have gone on some long rides (300+ miles) in triple digits and still no problems.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

there are some things I don't mess with and that is bike tires. I have a P spec bike, and there are times I may take my wife or a friend for a short ride on my run flats, but I don't push my luck.

Most P spec bikes have the run flats removed by the dealer when they are turned back in. Bike gets new rubber and a 2 up seat to make it more saleable.

Since I got my bike when my deputy friend died from his widow, it never saw a dealer, just me and my local HD indy shop/guru.

I have ben told that no shop in their right mind will put a run flat on a bike that comes in with a 2 up seat. Liability if the schit hits the fan is way more than the 40 bucks they are going to make on the sale.

When this season is over my bike should need new sneakers, and it sure ain't going to be run flats.

I figure the folks at Dunlop are smarter than I when it comes to these things. If the tire was rated for 2 up use, or they thought it would handle the weight, or act stable when the pressure droppped and the weight was say 150 pounds heavier than a solo rider, then they'd be pushing these tires as a safety miracle along with ABS.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is probably a wild suggestion, but why not contact Dunlop directly?

Per their web site, the number is (800) 845-8378

Every once in awhile a manufacturer has surprised me with useful information. I did check the Dunlop site, but I could not find any information on a run flat tire. Maybe they just don't market them to the riding public.

OD

Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys.............
Dunlop Police Tires are NOT "Run Flat" tires..........
They are "Bead Retention" tires...........

There is a big difference........They are not "extended mobility" "runflat"tires like on cars where you can drive 50 miles at 50 mph to get them fixed.

What they do DO is.....keep the bead of the tire from separating from the rim in the event of a sudden loss of air pressure. This enables the operator to decrease speed with some degree of control and find a safe place to get out of the road. Not to continue to ride for 5, 10 or 20 miles down the road.

I know that alot of people use the terms interchangeably But in this case they are NOT.

The reason for the sticker is that...these tires may not have the load rating for 2-up and may/will not perform as advertised "bead retention" with 2-up.

Dealerships should balk at replacing the Police Tire with another police tire when they see a 2-up seat attached. Additionally, they probably wont sell one over the counter for you to take with you.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

twincam is exactly correct. also the police tire does not carry the same load range as a two up tire. I have blown rear tires two up and have not had the 402 or EIII come off the rim. true you get some fish tail, but by laying off the throttle, not applying barkes until you get to low speed. it is very manageable on a straight road. Don't ask about twistys, has happened yet.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 AM
IM744
Advanced

I have the PT tire on my department motor and it is a great thing. My county bike tips the scales at almost about 850 and when i had my flat at 85 it maintained a good solid feel and was very controllable. I recommend that you check the load rating as compared to the regular tire and if it is suitable then you should use them. I have had flat tires with both the "run flat" or bead retention and a regular tire. I would much prefer the bead retention.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM
thefixer
Tourer

Here is the "official" response from Dunlop.

Thank You Twincam for the explanation between the two terms.
My original concern was not to drive on a flat, but to maybe have an extra edge of safety with the "bead retention" feature in case of a flat at speed.
Maybe I just worry too much
Thanks!

Greg,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the Dunlop D402 PT which is supplied as original equipment on your '04 H-D FLHTPI. According to the warning label located under the seat, if/when the solo saddle is replaced, the tires need to be replaced with non-D402 PT tires. The D402 PT tires should never be used in a two-up application due to their unique design and internal construction. Because of an overload situation, catastrophic failure of the tire(s) could result during a two-up application.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might check your state laws, civilians cant run the run flat police tire in georgia. Dealers selling used police bikes are required to replace them before selling the bikes.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
RPMC312
Intermediate

The Police tire has thick side walls, so wouldn't this mean the tire is tougher to blow out than the non Police tire? Doesn't make to much scense to me.

The reason Dunlop says not to use for 2 upis purely a liability issue, becuse Dunlop has not tested these tires for 2 up and they were tested solo only.Like I said before, I have them and never have any issues, nor have other riders I know that use them in 2 up applications.

Quick Reply: Police run flat tire