Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

History of Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: History of Street Glide?

I did it from this

[IMG]local://upfiles/15114/F66F4DBF84BE470A86E61F168308A210.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: DI75

Harley copied my, since stolen, 2002 stripped down Electra Glide, notice the paint scheme, and the SG was born!!! In all seriousness, allot of guys were stripping down their clunky Ultra's for a sleeker look, and HD caught wind of this and took off the parts for us, jacked up the price and in 2006 the SG was added to there inventory!!
Took the words out of my mouth! It is kinda funny because the ultra down to the SG are all the same bike. Just depends on what options you add or remove. The bikes that where stripped down and windshields chopped where done by people who had a vision or a look they wanted. Now you just go to the showroom and buy it.
Thanks to stores and websites like this http://www.eglidegoodies.com/
You can findcustom parts fora bagger more than you used to be able to.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
hdmunro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and for 2007, i believe the streetglide was the highest selling model of their line up,
stealing first place from the fatboy, which was the number 1 for several years as i recall...
and strage too, because as someone mentioned ion this thread earlier, the 2006 didnt sell very well,
then all of a sudden, the market went bagger, leaning away from the chopper craze, and the streetglide took off...
i saw the 2006 and didnt think much of it, then i walked in, saw the 2007, and rode out with it....
just my 2 cents.
Bill

Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hdmunro

and for 2007, i believe the streetglide was the highest selling model of their line up,
stealing first place from the fatboy, which was the number 1 for several years as i recall...
and strage too, because as someone mentioned ion this thread earlier, the 2006 didnt sell very well,
then all of a sudden, the market went bagger, leaning away from the chopper craze, and the streetglide took off...
i saw the 2006 and didnt think much of it, then i walked in, saw the 2007, and rode out with it....
just my 2 cents.
Bill
They must have put something in the water supply.

I was the same way. I was going to buy another Road King, but walked into the dealership and saw the Street Glide and drove away with it instead.

I never was much on fairings, until I saw the 07 SG. /boggle

Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
hdmunro
Advanced

i havent seen a 2006 and 2007 side by each, there must be something
different, damned if i know what though....i look at pictures and i just dont see
any real difference...yet i still had to have one...and i mean HAD to have one...
before i knew it i was handing them fistfulls of money and babbling about chrome
parts and add ons.....its a sickness, we should have a support group...
Bill

Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Superglide 04

Don't forget about where the street glide came from http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...4/DSC00001.jpg
My dad's 2004 Screaming Eagle E-Glide.
And way before that, people were striping EGs down a long time ago. HD finally decided to make some money doing it for you.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
quackhead
Road Master

i stripped down my 98 EG to get the look, that was when they first came out with the quick detach brackets i think.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

Look hard the difference is the motor and tranny. SG for 06 had 5 speed 07 6 speed new motor also.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sreet glides have been around for years, harley just came late to the party and copied what alot of had been doing for years. I built my street glide in 02, it was a 01 standard that I reworked, put the clean front fender on and a chrome disc front wheel off a SE roadglide, short black windscreen and other goodies. They just stole the idea to profit by it, and they have.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
hdmunro
Advanced

i realise the motor and tranny are different, i meant visually why one year its not selling,
and the next it does...i just pulled the specs from the 06 and 07 and there is no difference
in height, wheelbase, rake or anything else, so i guess i will agree with Phurionand say
that there was something in the water....
and yes they stole the idea from their customers, just like the fatboy, and the new crossbones....i agree
completly, but they probably needed the money... (wink wink).....
Bill

Quick Reply: History of Street Glide?