Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW

Here is the link to the group buy thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3231654/tm.htm

Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW

This is excellent. Thanks for posting Steve.

G-

Old 04-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Very well done Steve. A real asset to the forum. Glad you are happy with the "link".

Zach

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job with this Steve. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:16 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Nice write up. Just ordered one.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not convinced from reading your short riding review. How about a real test, approach a wide curve at high speed and then hit the rear break hard and down shift just before you enter the turn.....did your rear wobble then? If so, the wobble is not cured.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CigarCritic

I'm not convinced from reading your short riding review. How about a real test, approach a wide curve at high speed and then hit the rear break hard and down shift just before you enter the turn.....did your rear wobble then? If so, the wobble is not cured.
CigarCritic,

I have had a Ridestr8 (essentially the same unit as "The Missing Link") on my bike for the last 10,000+ miles. Steves' write up reflects the same experience I have had.

I regularly approach "wide curves" at "high speed" (60-80 mph) and brake hard and downshift going into them, then accelerate hard thru them. Normally I do 90% of my braking in these situations with my front brakes, however, for purposes of testing the ridestr8 I have done hard braking with the rear brake (short of locking it up) while downshifting. No wallow.

Prior to the ridestr8 being installed, if I took some of these sweepers at even 30 mph slower I would get some nasty wallowing. Nothing where I ever felt like I was going to be thrown, but it certainly was not a comfortable/secure feeling and sorta interrupted the flow of my ride.

The bike just feels right now.

Note: You use the term wobble-to me, these stablizers-ridestr8, missing link, tru-track, are not designed to get rid of wobble so much as the wallow feeling one gets when the rear tire is trying to go a different direction than the front tire. (aka rear stear)

Wobble is generally referring to a front end oscillation that could be caused by a number of things including poorly adjusted neck bearings.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:22 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine should be arriving today, and i'll probibly install it this weekend. I have only had this bike a month but plan on doing some long trips this year. I figure what the heck, for the piece of mind it will give me knowing that a potential problem has been givin the best possible solution, it's one less concern.

I still have not heard one bad thing about this product after being in use, only positive feedback.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 AM
bacon225
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the bike in front of me and I don't have the kit to look at right now.
But looking it the pictures of it and the install I am trying to determine if lets say.
You hit a sharp bump or pot hole can it put added stress of pressure on the oil pan?
And could this be a problem?
If I am totally off base just tell me to go back into my corner and shut up.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mississippi Bagger

I regularly approach "wide curves" at "high speed" (60-80 mph) and brake hard and downshift going into them, then accelerate hard thru them. Normally I do 90% of my braking in these situations with my front brakes, however, for purposes of testing the ridestr8 I have done hard braking with the rear brake (short of locking it up) while downshifting. No wallow.
I hit the twisties hard and this is where I get the rear wobble aka "rear end shake". I have ABS so I can hit the rear brake extremely hard and never use the front due to nose dives and loose gravel. Although I did recently lower my front one inch and switched to heavy oil which made a huge difference in how the bike handles the turns. I'm even scraping the boards less.

Note: You use the term wobble-to me, these stablizers-ridestr8, missing link, tru-track, are not designed to get rid of wobble so much as the wallow feeling one gets when the rear tire is trying to go a different direction than the front tire. (aka rear stear)

Wobble is generally referring to a front end oscillation that could be caused by a number of things including poorly adjusted neck bearings.
I call that a tank slapper and have had a few at low and high speed and it usually occurs when hitting a bump. Rear end wobble is just that, the rear end feels like it's wobbling left to right. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: MISSING LINK INSTALL AND REVIEW