Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Road King Classic Lowering Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:01 PM
simonwiley2001
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 Road King Classic Lowering Ideas

I have a 2008 Road King Classic without ABS. I want to lower it. How did you do yours? I've been checking into shock relocation brackets, but a lot of them won't work with hard leather bags. I'm sure there are a million posts on this site on how to lower a RKC, and I did a search, but didn't find anything helpful. I would like to go about 1" to 1 1/4". Thank you for your time and assistance.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:47 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: '08 Road King Classic Lowering Ideas

Do It RIGHT - PROGRESSIVE 440's

Old 05-03-2008, 07:04 PM
az232
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the progressive shocks. Makes a big difference. I also went with a lower profile seat. I probably picked up 2" combined.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 PM
simonwiley2001
Novice

Where did you get the progressive 440's? I'm want to lower the bike for looks. I'm 5'11" tall and have no problem touching the ground.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I used the HD low profile shocks. I have no problem with the ride so I won't be buying Progressives.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:13 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 28" inseam so I had to lower my 08 fl I got the reach seat from harley that gave me an inch feels the same a little narrower. I went with Pingle lowering kit It's made of steel not alum I put about 300 mi. on it so far and the ride feels the same. I've got a bad set of RXR tracks close by and I went back and forth across them at varing speeds works great. ended up where I can flat foot even have to bend the knees. www.pingelonline.com took 20 min. to install.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM
DaneTrain
Stage II

I work for the parts department at my local dealership.I would recomend getting the front end lowering kit that H-D offers that will drop the front an inch. Then i would get the low profile shocks for the rear that H-Dthey drop the back 3/4 of an inch. Or Progressive suspension offers rear shocks that could get u lower. Personally i would not use those brackets that relocate the shocks i would imagine just like lowering blocks on a truck that you would get a rough ride and you bought the Road King Classic for the ride meaning that you plan on going on trips and such with your baby. So, you don't want to get beat up on your ride. If that's the case you should have bought a rigid frame chopper. LOL. If you come up with anything else let me know if it is anything new. Hope I could help

Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

Whatever you do, don't use the Harley lowered air shocks -they ride like a lumber wagon.

I have has both 12" Progressive 440's & the HD lowered air shocks (also 12") on my bike & the difference in ride is absolutely night & day in favor of the Progressive's.

The other option is adjustable height air shocks (Legend, Platinum, Hi-Lo etc) I am now running the Platinum "Bleed & Feed" system & the ride quality is awesome + you can lower or raise it to any height you want.

~John

Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I went with 11.5 inch progressive shocks. Absolutely fell in love soon as I put it on the highway. Visually there is little difference looking at the bike from the side and I would hazard to say unless yours is next to one with the stock shock, the lowered height really would not be noticable. However, handling is affected for the better and you can feel the difference in how the bike sits/rides/corners and handling. I felt like I was sitting in a high chair before....now it feels more balanced and less top heavy.

They are a little cheaper than the HD profile low shocks and ride better. I have ridden on the profile lows and know how they feel. Also, the 11.5 are 1/2 inch shorter.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
SCRider
Cruiser

I hear you! I too searched for quite a while trying find find a way to lower my RK Custom. We both have the same problem in that the plastic on the inside of our saddle bags wraps around the shocks. This , of course, means that most lowering kits that change the shock angle will not work on our bikes. I found a product that worked perfectly and was very easy to install. It is the lowering kit from TJ-Products.
It does not change the shock angle and was very easy to install. Installed mine in about 30 minutes. You can choose between the 1" or 1 1/2" drop.

Quick Reply: '08 Road King Classic Lowering Ideas