Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall windshield VS Laminar Lip

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
steveinsac
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall windshield VS Laminar Lip

Sorry to bring up an old subject, but...
I ridean '05 Road Glide, and at highway speeds (70-80) the buffeting of my helmet and glasses is fatiguing to say the least. When I wear my full face helmet, it's even worse. I feel like a bobblehead doll in the back window of a chopped chort... I've tried the Stock H-D shield, the H-D low-profile (great for looks but slapped me around worse than ever), and I'm currently riding behind a 1" under-height Clearview Recurve. I'm 5'9" and look about 2" over the Clearview. According to everyone's guidelines, including Clearview, the 1" under is what I "should have". Around town, and even a long day's ride, the Clearview is fine. I like the extra rigidity and the wider top of the Clearview, but even with the recurve I'm batted around.
I've read quite a few posting as to the ugliness of the Laminar Lip, but I'm intrigued by the promise that it works, and the design and theory make sense. What I'm asking you, the Forum Members, is what experience you have with either the Laminar Lip and/or the H-D or aftermarket TALL shield (3" over). I like the idea of the Lip and not having to look through a shield all the time, but I'd like to hear some real-world feedback. I got excited when I first saw the WFB/Klockwerks Flared windshield, but the one rider I've spoken to wasn't mpresseed with it's performance in regards to buffeting. I'm planning a 2 week, 4000 mile ride this summer, and would like to minimize the buffeting as much as I can. I've got the rest of the bike dialed in, rider backrest, highway pegs, and just need to minimize the buffeting.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tall windshield VS Laminar Lip

I'm 6'4" and run the ClearView Short... But I have also lowered the Front & Rear - Ride with a Corbin seat which also puts me back & lower.. This set-up works for me as I can run to close to 80 with to much buffeting... Is is better then my '01 RKC - I normally use my hwy pegs like a forward control shifting & breaking this allows me to set back against my backrest.. Have put many miles with this same setup on other HD in the past.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif][sm=chattypair.gif]I too have wondered about the Laminar Lip? Some feedback would be great. I have some door trim molding leftover from a project and was going to apply it to the edge of my winscreen (batwing bike) just to see if there was any difference. Maybe not the same design at the lip, but should have the same effect, maybe?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Aslan
Road Master

I'm still running with the stock shield.
I can live with it but I would like something better. I want a short shield that gives some protection for the hot weather and short trips. Then I want a taller shield for long trips and the cold weather. I don't think there one shield that will do it all.
I been reading all the posts about windshields for Road Glides but I have not seen anything about a laminar lip.
Clue me in what is a laminar lip?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah me too. laminar lip???

Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your kidding right?

When theres a Clearview.
That Works.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be the first to admit that the Laminar Lip looks funky on a Harley, but the guys over on the BMW forums swear by them. Of course, if you have a BMW you don't really care about what your bike looks like - they take a strange pride in ugly, calling it something like "function over form". Interesting concept...

Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

I bought the Laminar Lip... and installed on my '05 Road Glide...
Yes it DOES move the air up and over your head by several inches ( as measured by my gloved hand at highway speeds)

Air acts as a fluid , as the bike moves forward it diplaces air in all directions, a windshield creates a larger hole in the air, and causes a "calm spot" behind it. at a certain distance, the displaced air closes back on itself re-filling the void caused by the motorcycle/windshield.

On MY bike... the air converges right where I sit. So while the Laminar Lip does indeed do what they say, but the air to the sides still close back on me... yup.... still getting buffering... but I can ride and see single at 80 mph

I actually found that removing the windshield gave me the smoothest air flow... sure it was windy... but I've riden for a few hundred thousands of miles without a windshield, and think wind is normal

Anyone intersted in trying the Laminar lip... email me, and make me an offer.... I paid $80 with shipping

Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Tyronewildman
Stage IV

Save your $$ My 1st post here as my '08 Roadglide is only 2 weeks old. Ditto on the head buffiting at highway speeds w/full face helmet w/face shield down. Face shield up it's O K. Temp clamped my new Laminar Lip all different heights on my stock shield, and didn't make any difference. Guy at Laminar Lip told me (as I was getting a RMA #) that they have had mixed reviews with the Lip on the Roadglide. The Lip works great on my '04 FJR w/stock screen (smooth air flow w/no buffiting). The Clearview (see above reply) looks good-is it about the same height as the stock screen. I gotta do something. Later,,, De

Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 AM
steveinsac
6th Gear

For those that haven't seen the info on the Laminar Lip, their web address is http://www.laminarlip.com, and the Road Glide specific page ishttp://www.laminarlip.com/rdglide.php. I don't mind the "pure" wind in my face, never wanted a windshield or fairing for my face, just to reduce the overall pressure when riding all day at 70+ mph. I'd liketo hear from 5'8" - 5'10" riders who have tried a full height, tall H-D or Clearview shield. Does this solution push the buffeting and turbulence up and over better than the stock or 1" under designs?

thanks for all your input!
Steve

Quick Reply: Tall windshield VS Laminar Lip