Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My download?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 AM
lightu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My download?

Two years ago I had my dealer install the Stage II tuner on my RK. They said they would stand behind the two year factory warranty since they put in the goods and installed the pipes. Now two years is up and I went to ask if I could have the software disc, in case I ever wanted to make changes to my bike in a different city or put the bike on a dyno sometime and tune it. They really sidestepped this request, saying they should keep the disc so it was safe and that there wasn't a master copy, that it was specific to my bike and only my bike. I talked to one of the mechanics the other day over a couple beers and he said there is a master, and the discs are not something you can record over to implant data about a specific bike, that is done on the computer when tuning. But they won't give me the software I paid for. My question...should I demand my disc, and are they pulling a stunt to keep me as a customer and prevent me from going someplace else? I feel I bought the download and should be able to have it in my hands.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:53 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My download?

What tuner did they install? If they did a download to a PCIII, or other tuner, tell them you want your software disks. If the the download was done to the ECM they owe you nothing as you only paid for a download.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

ORIGINAL: RoadKing_Al

What tuner did they install? If they did a download to a PCIII, or other tuner, tell them you want your software disks. If the the download was done to the ECM they owe you nothing as you only paid for a download.
+1

Maybe a better question... did you purchase a SERT?

If you got a PC III you can download all their software from the powercommander site. And.. the PC III will read both ways and will let you see the map you are running. You can save the map you are running to your computer or burn it to a disk. So, that is that.

If you purchased a SERT then some do NOT come with the software while some DO. Regardless of if they have a master or not you can purchase the software application CD from any dealership for about 30 bucks or less. As far as the map that is on your bike, the SERT only reads one way.. install... not read what you have.

If you had them Dyno using a SERT then they don't have to give you the software. It is "proprietary information" per Harley, which is bull snuff, but that is the way it goes.

If they just flashed your ECM with the Stage II factory map then getting it from them is mute because you don't have a SERT or a Digital Technician to flash your ECM.

Last note... if you do have a SERT and you do purchase the application CD then the Stage II map for your bike is on that CD.

Whewwww.. haven't typed that much in a while.

Cheers

Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 AM
lightu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said it was a Stage II race download.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's just a download and you are not running a SERT, its a mute point.