Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?

Old 02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?

I'm planning on selling my HD to go with a aftermarket one. I will sell mines for $650 to HDForums member.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:07 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what you have to look at is the total functionality of the complete system. I have an 04 Ultra and I chose that bike for three reasons. 1. Fairing Lowers. 2. 4 speaker stereo and 3. Cruise control. I have all the toys at the tips of my fingers and I am confident that it will always perform to the standards that H-D has put in place. You have to keep in mind that you are going to be listening to a radio over a set of loud mufflers. Your in the wind and if you can overcome that...then you are doing ok. The H-D radio has the flip open door over the CD player so it's going to keep most of the weather out of the radio. I never spray directly into the radio....water....electronics....na...I don't think so.

I am planning on a set of hogtunes before spring. Other than that....I am happy with the stock unit.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:56 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Anyone know who makes the stock HD radio for the MOCO? I'm wondering if it'll be enough for me. I'm an audiophile and have a $10k system in my daily driver car and hoping I don't get the bug to start f'in w/the bike radio! All I really want to do is find an adapter that will let me install Sirius instead of XM and I think I'd be happy. Does the stock radio play mp3 encoded CDs?

Old 02-24-2006, 11:46 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo38sfi

Anyone know who makes the stock HD radio for the MOCO? I'm wondering if it'll be enough for me. I'm an audiophile and have a $10k system in my daily driver car and hoping I don't get the bug to start f'in w/the bike radio! All I really want to do is find an adapter that will let me install Sirius instead of XM and I think I'd be happy. Does the stock radio play mp3 encoded CDs?
For 06 it is Harman Kardon.

Yes it plays MP3 disks.

If you want to know what that loud noise in the background is when you are listening to the stereo on a Harley, that would be the engine.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I went through the same thoughts with my 05 FLHTI. The HD stereo was a cool $1000. I ended up with a Sony deck, Biketronics kit, antenna hidden in the fairing (from Audio Express), and Boston Acoustic speakers, for $500. With the biketronics kit I can still use the stock handlebar controls (get comments about that quite often from cagers when at stoplights!) and saved half of what the Harley stereo would've cost me. I can play MP3 CD's (I've heard several complaints about the new HK player not playing all MP3 CD's), sounds good up until about 85mph. No problems with water either on mine, or several other riders I've talked to with similar setups. (I wouldn't dunk it in a tank or anything though).

The only thing I am thinking about changing is the speakers, and getting a set of HogTunes. But mine sound pretty good right now (once I figured out a bracket was loose in the fairing!)

Old 02-25-2006, 02:25 AM
dhutchison
Tourer

You can get a Hawg-Wired kit to install several different Sony CD players. It's 100% plug & play. Comes with a bracket, wiring harness, face plate, etc. Everything you need except the radio, and speakers. I just did that set up on an EG Std. It sounds great with the HW speakers. Works with the handlebar controls as well.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Claude
Stage I

Try to visit this site : eglidegoodies.com ; I have purchased a Sony deck with retroradio IOT use my handlebar set ; I enjoy it.
Ride safe
A very far from you rider but close by the HD passion

Old 02-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Smitty
Cruiser

Are the stereo handlebar controls already on a new FLHTI even if I don't purchase the HD stereo?

Old 02-25-2006, 01:05 PM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: SeaHag

I've ridden literally thousands of miles in the rain (unfortunately) and my non-marine grade radio never malfunctioned. Just buy a model that has a flip down faceplate. It will serve to seal off the major entry port for dust and water....the CD slot.
Aren't we saying the same thing? Given the fact that there are no "waterproof" radios, the marine grade radios usually have a flip up faceplate. When was the last time you got in a car and had to flip a faceplace just in order to insert a cd? Most cars don't have that feature because they are already protected from the elements. Just a thought.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: Smitty

Are the stereo handlebar controls already on a new FLHTI even if I don't purchase the HD stereo?
Yes, they're already installed and good to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?