Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Prospect
Default Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?

I'm renting an Electra Glide Standard this Saturday because I plan on purchasing one within a month and want to be sure it's for me. I really want a stereo system but on the flip side I'm trying to keep my overall cost down as much as possible to lower my payments. My question is should I splurge for the Harley stereo at the time of purchase or have an aftermarket system installed afterwards?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Hang Around
Default RE: Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?

In my opinion the HD stereo is expensive and does not perform as well as many aftermarket units. Having said that you also have to consider that the aftermarket units (unless they're marine grade) are not meant to be installed in a location that is subject to adverse weather conditions, or washing. If I were to be in your position i would look into the aftermarket marine grade units and compare them to the cost of the factory deck.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:36 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: HdDude

In my opinion the HD stereo is expensive and does not perform as well as many aftermarket units. Having said that you also have to consider that the aftermarket units (unless they're marine grade) are not meant to be installed in a location that is subject to adverse weather conditions, or washing. If I were to be in your position i would look into the aftermarket marine grade units and compare them to the cost of the factory deck.

Agreed. You can always find better sound systems in the marketplace, but make sure you get marine grade, otherwise you'll live to regret it first time the stereo gets wet.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Road Master

Quote:
ORIGINAL: tda69

Agreed. You can always find better sound systems in the marketplace, but make sure you get marine grade, otherwise you'll live to regret it first time the stereo gets wet.
Bullsquat. I know thats common sense; but its not true. I installed an aftermarket panasonic deck in my FLHT and played the crap out of it rain or shine for two years. I'm replacing it this winter for one that has electronic skip protection (memory buffer) because I was irritated with the skips. I've ridden literally thousands of miles in the rain (unfortunately) and my non-marine grade radio never malfunctioned. Just buy a model that has a flip down faceplate. It will serve to seal off the major entry port for dust and water....the CD slot.
FYI... the slipstream of air keeps the radio faceplate virtually dry in any rainstorm at speed. It doesn't really start getting spattered until you slow down...and even then the radio is shielded by the windscreen and the general slope of the fairing. For the cost of the HD unit I can by about 6 nice $200.00 decks. As far as washing the bike, just be carefull where you blast. I clean my inner fairing with a rag. Theres no need to be shooting high pressure water at anything up there.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Prospect

I purchased the biketronics kit from www.biketron.com and love it. around $500 depending on what radio you choose. Look them up they are great people.

traded-07 FLHX, Black Cherry, jackpot dyno tuned slip-ons.

F. & A.M. #450
Old 02-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Banned

Hey Smitty, how about a Street Glide? I really like the stereo and the styling extras! A lot easier and cheaper to get a bike with a stock stereo, controls, etc. '06 stereo is a big improvement!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Road Captain

Just so you all know the stock system is not waterproof anyways................so I am sure it is not marinegrade............IMO it is garbage you can by an awesome system for a lot less than the $1000 for the HD stereo
"Treat Me Good I'll Treat You Better, Treat Me Bad I'll Treat You Worse"
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Prospect

My stereo on my new Streetglide skips on every CD I have put in. Don't know how the cost compares but if HD can't do better than that I would go with aftermarket. Mine doesn't skip when I hit a bump but will stop for a few seconds for no reason.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Road Warrior
Send a message via AIM to Bushy

I like the Biktronics kit and there is also a weather/water proof cover for a nominal fee. I have washed my bike with it on and not a drop got in, its even better the HD gauges!!

2012 Ultra Classic Limited, Blue Pearl... Chrome Pass floorboards, painted inner fairing,ipod interface,Kuryakyn brake,Passenger hand grip,Signal tourpak, V%H Power Duals, FM tuner package,, Slip-ons yet to be determined,Painted inner fairing and Cap, Miles to go before I sleep
Behind every bouncing ball is a running Child
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

I went through this myself. I ended up with a HD radio on my EG Std as I preferred the looks, and with the HogTune Speakers, I have been very happy. mikeisglidn has an aftermarket and is very happy with his...I honestly don't think it matters, there are after market kits that will allow you to use the handlebar controls, and they hold up in the weather fine. Are you going to be satisfied with the aftermarket or HD? Only you can answer that question.

Mac
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM

P