Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Download vs Fuel Pak

Old 05-18-2008, 06:10 AM
morif
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Download vs Fuel Pak

What is the difference between a Stage 1 download and just installing a Fuel Pak? Are both needed when going to True Duals? What is the best way to go? Thanks for any input in advance.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Dirty1
Novice
Default RE: Stage 1 Download vs Fuel Pak

+1 on any info on this. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Road Glider
Tourer

The stage 1 download is still EPA compliant and the bike will still run lean and hot.

Can't comment on the Fuel Pak except to make sure they have your pipeand air box combo in their available maps which can be found on their website.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 AM
lainsauto
Intermediate

I did the Fuel Pak with true duals on my '05 road king and '07 street glide....no need for stage 1....the fuel pak does what you need...on my RK I had earlier changed mufflers and air filter so I did the stage 1...later when I decided to go with true duals I got the the fuel pak settings for my RK with ECM with stage 1 ...on the SG the ECM was stock so settings were different....so bottom line you don't need both...good luck!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:25 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Save your money, do one or the other. I went with the FuelPak, the advantage being if I decide to change something again, don't need to go back to the dealer, can change it myself. Major improvement for me with new exhaust, hi-flo AC and FuelPak.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:27 AM
rjgraham
Tourer

My fuel pak comes in on Monday I will let you know how it goes. TD, AC and FP..

Old 05-18-2008, 08:35 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: rjgraham

My fuel pak comes in on Monday I will let you know how it goes. TD, AC and FP..
I think you will be very happy! I only did mine a few weeks ago. About half hour for the AC, fifteen minutes for the FuelPak and about an hour for the mufflers. Mufflers were a bitch to get off and the hardest part of the Fuel Pak for me was routing the wires to the module, not much room under there, but really no problem. When I took it out for a ride, I could tell right away the response had changed, but whenI hit the edge of town and wound it up, oh yeah, you'll like it.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Greenstreak
Novice

I ran the FuelPak for a couple years and several different muffler combinations. One thing to remember, the maps for the FuelPak aren't necessarilly exact and you may need to call their Tech to fine tune the settings. From my experience, be sure to install new plugs each time you change the settings so you can tell when you're dialed-in. Or, get it on a dyno. I found that the FuelPak still created times when the running condition was too lean and I'm fairly sure that's what caused my rear cylinder injector to get heat scorched. I have since gone back to a Stage 1 flash only and installed Marren Stage 1 fuel injectors and I'm much happier with the way she runs now. For the record, I'm no longer a fan of piggyback systems unless you have seriously modified hi-po motor.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 PM
jeffro308
Intermediate

Friday night I put on a set of V&H turn down basic slip ons, a SE Heavy Breather and a Fuelpak. The installation and setup is straightforward and the results were awesome. I couldn't be more pleased. I do need an amp for my radio now but who cares.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:31 PM
jmc1089
5th Gear

You won't need to do both. I installed the V & H FuelPak on my ultra with Stage - 1 air cleaner and slip on mufflers. Easy Install and big improvement in performance. Worked great for me and I think you will be pleased also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 1 Download vs Fuel Pak