Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping noise in the front end suspension Roadking

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:53 AM
FLHR143
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping noise in the front end suspension Roadking

I've got a popping noise in the front end of my Roadking when I hit a dip in the road. Just recently had a 10,000 mile service done on it, what could cause this problem? Not enough oil in the forks loose headstock ?
Help. I know some of you guys are prety good at troulbleshooing. Thanks.
I'll pop back in later today.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts
Default RE: popping noise in the front end suspension Roadking

Did you check fork stem nut, or bearings? Check the obvious first. When you say pop, is it loud, one side, bottom of fork or top, or can you tell? It could be a loose light rapping onto something. Run your hands all over the front end to see if anythings loose.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:33 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If the noise started after the service, take it back to the dealer and get it checked out. It could be something loose. If the steering head bearing tension is too loose it could cause a handling issue, at higher speeds. You never know it might not have any oil in the forks legs. I just hate it when you have something serviced and it comes back with a problem, it did'nt have prior.

What year model is the King?

Old 03-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: John TN

If the noise started after the service, take it back to the dealer and get it checked out. It could be something loose. If the steering head bearing tension is too loose it could cause a handling issue, at higher speeds. You never know it might not have any oil in the forks legs. I just hate it when you have something serviced and it comes back with a problem, it did'nt have prior.

What year model is the King?
Second the motion....

Old 03-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

John, Homer, I guess it's the way our minds work, but as soon as someone asks for help on a problem, I want to get over to it and start looking it over for problems, and how to fix them. You guy's, rightly so, say if it started after coming back from the dealer, go back to the dealer.

You're probably right. I just don't trust alot of mechanics, and someone who would forget to tighten a steering head, or forget fork oil, just isn't going to get my bike back.

FLHR143, tell us what you did.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
FLHR143
Cruiser

Thanks for the responses guys. It a 96 model,I bought it last year from the original owner, had 13,000 miles on it, I've put 7500 on it in the past year. I'll take it back to the shop and let them check it out.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:55 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I do agree with you Joe, but sometimes when a mechanic screws up, if the service mgr. is worth a sh---t he will get on the mechanics tail and maybe it won't happen again.

The other thing is if you are'nt a wrench yourself you might screw it up worse than the mechanic. No pun intended 143

Old 03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
FLHR143
Cruiser

John, while I'm not a certified HD mechanic, I do most of the minor pm work myself. I put it on the jack this morning and checked a few things, everything was tight no loose bolts or light or brackets etc. No need to throw rocks here.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:12 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

No rocks thrown at you 143, that's why I said no pun intended towards you. I simply made a general statement not a reference to yourself. I admire anyone that can fix or work on their bikes. Heck it saves you alot of money, gives you pride in doing good work and makes your bike more personal.

I ain't a certified H/D mechanic either, I have tinkered with stuff all my life (bikes, cars, boats, etc.) and I read, listen and learn all that I can, sometimes by my own mistakes.

Hope you get it fixed keep us informed.

John TN

Old 03-14-2005, 07:22 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noise when you hit a hard bump? Check the fuel tanks mounting bolts! Very common issue.

Quick Reply: popping noise in the front end suspension Roadking