Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride Baja to Cabo San Lucas

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
dreamcatcher2007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ride Baja to Cabo San Lucas

I just finished up a six week trip south from Denver to Cabo. Then a ferry ride across to the mainland from la paz to Mazatlan. The most beautiful place and wonderful people and culture anywhere.

The roads are great unless you want to get some dirt, and they have that too... No worries about any of the so called dangers folks here are reporting, its nothing more than any where you go in the States. Treat folks well, take care of your ****, and you will be awestruck by just how incredible it all is. There is just one stretch, 200kof road south to Guerrero Negro, where you might need to count on some mexican brothers selling gas out of the back of their truck, depending upon your mileage. I only had a 4 gallon tank on my Triumph so carried along a small gas can, but never needed it.

Learn some spanish and go. You will never forget it. PM me if you have more specific questions or just want other information in general.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Rocky Rox
Intermediate

This trip may seem like a great idea but it's very dangerous. I live in the San Diego area and there are frequent stories of violent gun battles, kidnappings and police executions in the Baja area. Don't rely on other peoples opinions, it's your life. Google Baja, Mexico, violence and decide for yourself.
IMHO southern cal offers excellent riding, great beaches and better looking women.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do it either. I just had a work related training class from a former dea agent. He told us there is a big time problem with cartel right now making and transporting meth because they restricted the chemicals used to make it here in northern ca. All the meth labs moved from el dorado county to mexico. And yes, there has been many killings and kidnappings. Think real hard before you go. Do some research of current events in the area atleast. Contact your local d.e.a. office and see what they have to say.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
SteveXL
Advanced

If you do it, although I don't recommend it, make sure you have Mexican insurance. Your policy here in the states will not cover anything that happens out of the country.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jeffbarb17

Perhaps most of the other posts you can take with a grain of salt.......imagination of banditos and assassins all over the place is all speculation.....and pure BS. If people are going to respond to posts i wish they actually knew what they were talking about instead of guessing...and pretending to have a bit of intelligence.
Jeff-

You are simply wrong... This is not pure BS. What I state are indeed facts. Mexico is a very dangerous place right now. There is basically a war going on south of our border. When the president sends 20,000 troops to fight the cartels (which are armed better than the military) this is a war. Many innocent people are killed every day there. Why would anyone want to take a chance with their life on the line?

Maybe you should have some intelligence before speaking as if you are an authority on the matter, because you are WRONG!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Gene01, I live near the border with Mexico and once owned a home in Peru. The violence today in our area is approaching that of the Sendero Luminoso terrorism in Peru of the late '80s. Even in San Diego only this year, 9 people have been kidnapped and taken across the border into Tijuana to safe houses to become the victims of beatings and torture. There isn't space in this forum to begin to list the robbery, rape and murder that has been taking place south of the border. We stopped going south by car into Baja ten years ago, and won't be going back until after the "war" is over.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
gene01
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jeffbarb17

Most the roads have been redone because of the growing tourism in the area. Cabo San lucas is a party town and has great hotels and marina. The cruise ships come in and it gets busy but it's a great town...Sammy Hagars bar is in town and it's huge. If you continue down the coast to San Jose Del Cabo you will find a great clean town with great people....Shooters downtown has a buck a beer every afternoon. If you travel inland towards Todo Santos you will find great beaches and bars off the beatin trail. Todo Santos is an artsy town with what the say is Hotel California right down town. The Baja is a well kept secret and the cleanest place in all of Mexico...roads are great...and as long as you fuel up when you can you would have a great time. Planning is the key.

Since i have actuallytraveled it and been there, it's fantastic.

Perhaps most of the other posts you can take with a grain of salt.......imagination of banditos and assassins all over the place is all speculation.....and pure BS. If people are going to respond to posts i wish they actually knew what they were talking about instead of guessing...and pretending to have a bit of intelligence.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/06864ED53A584926932CB5E2ECA4054A.jpg[/IMG]

Hmmmmm, this from a guy not even close to Mexico, he lives in Canada????? I am not going to tell him about snow.... maybe he shouldn't tell us about Mexico< think that I might have a liuttle more knowledge on this one as we own about a large 12 mile by 2 mile wide city worth of property there, I will not even go to visit our plant as it is unsafe....

Bottom line is don't listen to him, stay safe...

Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

the border towns are a real mess, definatly stay away from them, far a way, once far from them its really not bad a t all, I go down to PV or Cabo a few times a year with zero issues, like the other said look where all the violence is, its all in the border towns, oh and I called ATT and got my phone to work there for 10 bucks, dont try that with Sprint though LOL,it was easy. and Sammy Hagar sold Cabo Wabo

Mike

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mikes300

the border towns are a real mess, definatly stay away from them, far a way, once far from them its really not bad a t all, I go down to PV or Cabo a few times a year with zero issues, like the other said look where all the violence is, its all in the border towns, oh and I called ATT and got my phone to work there for 10 bucks, dont try that with Sprint though LOL,it was easy. and Sammy Hagar sold Cabo Wabo

Mike
Those tourist meccas are "safe" because they are ringed with security checkpoints. You want to fly in, and fly out, and not travel beyond the checkpoints to other cities. Trust me on this one. Even my SCORE off-road racing team buddies are out of the game, it's just too sketchy.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

We aren't saying the tourist towns are unsafe. Rather for the most part Cabo, Cancun, Playa del Carmen are very safe. It's the border towns where the war is going on. If you want to visit Cabo or Cancun- fly there!

Just a couple of days ago four americans were gunned down in their car on the toll road in Mexico just south of Tijuana.

Quick Reply: ride Baja to Cabo San Lucas