Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide...adding a Tour Pack

Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Street Glide...adding a Tour Pack

I am purchasing a Street Glide because I want the comfort of a touring bike but also the (to me) clean stripped down look of a custom for daily driving back and forth to work. For short trips I plan on adding backrest for myself and the misses. My question is this, I've noticed that alot of people had added tour packs to thier Glides. How much work is it to put tour packs on and off? I'm thinking for long trips I might want to install a tour pack for additional storage and also they appear to give the passenger more comfort. Also can they be wired for rear speakers? My plan is to install a rack on the back for daily running back and forth to work and around town.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Street Glide...adding a Tour Pack

All this can be done! Bring your hard earned $ to your dealer!

Have a look on this picture! Scroll down to the 2006 Street glide

http://www.hdbergen.no/produkter_bruktmc.htm

After I rode it I decided to trade my lowrider for a street glide

Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Taking it on and off is pretty simple. It is a matter of releasing the quick detach and pulling it off. I have yet to find a reason to take mine off.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Taking it on and off is pretty simple. It is a matter of releasing the quick detach and pulling it off. I have yet to find a reason to take mine off.
All my friends with tour pak never bother to take them off, aswell!

I guess they are all lazy

Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 AM
dt20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines a little difficult to put on for some reason its real tight i have to put a little pressure on the bracket thats attached to the bottom of the pak. other than that its really easy to put on and off. i ride most of the time with the pak off the bike only bought for long hauls. I did the install myself wasnt to hard but i used a jack so it wasnt to hard to line up the bolts afterwards. all in all it took about 3hrs to install thats with beer and smoke breaks and the assistance of my german shepard who kept grabbing parts and hiding them on me.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johan96

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

All my friends with tour pak never bother to take them off, aswell!

I guess they are all lazy
Not lazy. Smart. It is so much easier to use the tour pak to put stuff in that is coming right back out. Leaves the saddlebags for essentials like tools, rain gear, first aide kit, etc. that stay on the bike.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

I want to do the same withmy street glide. Does anyone know what parts are needed (other than the tour pack itself)? For example, do you need to purchase a back rest, antenna relocation, etc. Thanks for the input.

Mark

Old 05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
TC96Man
Cruiser

With quick detachables on my tour pak, it probably takes me around 8 to 10 seconds to install and remove it.If you want to add the quick detach. to the sissy bar too, make sure you that you get those brackets at the same time. You' ll probably need the antenna relocation kit as well. By theway, if you buy a tour pak that has light on it, you' ll have to make a custom wiring harness in order to run your tour paklights and you led on your rear fender.Just make sure you think all of your mods through on what you might want to add in the future. I' m speaking from experience, it is a pain in the a$$ when you have to go backand disassemble mods that you have already made in orderto add something new.

Later,

JB

Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TC96Man
I' m speaking from experience, it is a pain in the a$$ when you have to go backand disassemble mods that you have already made in orderto add something new.

Later,

JB
I thought that was part of the fun of "customizing". No?

But to the original question...

You'll need the Quick Detach kit for both the Tour Pak and the part that mounts to the rear of the bike. It's a bit tricky to install the first time you do one. Just be mindful of the nuts inside the fender. It can be difficult getting everything lined up just right (the first time...second time I did one it was a breeze because of my previous experience with it).

I can't ever imagine owning anything but a bagger, and more to the point, a bagger without a detachable Tour Pak. Worth every penny.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my tour pack solo when heading out on long trips. They are so convenient for storage. The extra set of speakers are nice too. Great back support for a solo rider. I have both quick detach brackets, solo and two up.
It takes longer to dig out and hook up / un hook and hide the wires than to detach the pack itself.
I guess rigging up one common plug would be easier.
Remember, if you have the tour pack with lights, IT HAS to be hooked up or you may get a ticket. I got stopped before after just testing the pack out, luckily the copper was a Harley guy and was more interested in the solo pack configuration. LOL He went back to his car and returned to remind me to hook up the lights. LOL

U

[IMG]local://upfiles/57301/8B6920B55AD343689979E7873C6B38BA.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Glide...adding a Tour Pack