Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Gas Tank

Old 06-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing Gas Tank

I need to replace my main wiring harness -- bad signal wire going to the tach. I'd just as soon do this myself but have never removed the gas tank.

How big a deal is it to remove the tank and what do I need to watch out for?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Default RE: Removing Gas Tank

I have not removed mine but raised it up and backto check the stabilizer on top.
All you need to do is remove the seat,tank consol,over flow line,tank mounting bolts,fuel gage wire, the fuel cross over line, the main fuel line.Best to do with an empty tank and do this away from sparks,water heater,etc-.
If your not sure,a manual will help a lot.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It's not difficult to remove the gas tank. I had mine off not long ago--used the Service Manual since it was my first time, and alsowanted the torque values for reinstallation. The only tips I can offer is to run down the amount of gas in the tank so there is a minimum to drain since the crossover tube in front of the tank is cut in the process and while the SM provides a plugging procedure, I decided to simply drain the tank.

Also, Dawg has a link to a quickdisconnect coupling to use when replacing the crossover tube that is a very useful feature in the event the tank needs to be removed in the future.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is not difficult, the less gas the better. It is pretty straight forward, just make sure you disconnect the fuel line when you start or you will break the plastic connection.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The manual is pretty clear on the procedure. Only problem I had was the rubber seal around the filler tube. Can't seem to get it to seal properly. Anyone has any "tricks" for that. The manual doesn't say much about that.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: IAMSWUTIAMS

The manual is pretty clear on the procedure. Only problem I had was the rubber seal around the filler tube. Can't seem to get it to seal properly. Anyone has any "tricks" for that. The manual doesn't say much about that.
Thanks for the reminder--bought a new "Boot" (Harley-speak for the gasket in the tank console that fits around the tank's filler tube) for a couple of bucks--the original ones seem to harden and become mildly deformed over time--the new one was easy to fit and well-worth the insignificant cost--HD PN 61112-82A according to my '04 HD Parts Manual for Touring models.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks everyone for the good tips! I've got a service manual but it doesn't seem that clear, or maybe it's just me. I'll go back and read it again a few times before attempting it. Sounds like the crossover tube get's trashed, so will need another? I'll send Dawg a PM for his quick disconnect link. Don't know what there is about doing this, but I'm more hesitant to remove the tank than I was to install the 26G's. Thanks again, fellas.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 PM
izzi
Road Master

i think you are to pull your fuel pump fuse then run it till it dies. to bleed off fuel pressure..

Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Disconnect fuse or battery.

Disconnect main gas supply line - push up on the chrome sleave.

Remove console top (three bolts (one in the back, two under the gas cap door)

Remove rear tank bolt.

Remove left and right tank bolts (on front ears)

Cut hose clamp on left side of crossover tube

Will need a piece of extra hose with a plug in it (this to slide on the tank once you pull the crossover tube)

Will also need something to plug the other end of the crossover hose (once it's removed)

VERY quickly, will need to pull the crossover tube and qucikly install your plug in the open end of the cross over tube and then slide on the small piece of hose (with its plug as well) on the tank. I also put some tags under the tank to help catch the leaking gas.

Suppose you could also rig up something to drain the two tank halves one you disconnect them.

As you can tell once the crossover has been disconnected from the left side, the tank can then be lifted up and off.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Man, I can already tell -- this is going to get UGLY! [:'(]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Gas Tank