Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Electra Glide to Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took me a while to get used to my fairing, the look, feel everything. After about a year I would never not have at least one fairing bike. I've had it for about 3 years now. Give yourself a little more time to get used to it. Get Baggers and American Bagger Mags and look at the pics on this forum, they really are beautiful bikes. I even want a roadglide now and I used to think they were kinda ugly. Give it more time, long trips especially, IMO you'll regret getting rid of that fairing.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a RG but if I bought a bike for looks it would be a duo-glide from the 60's. If you are rich just buy a nice used RK and detail it. Keep the EG, since it is one of the best touring bikes in the world. The RK ain't really chopped liver either

Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM
squirlshovel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tou can do what you want obviously its your motorcycle! i have an 81 flt that i converted to a roadking . there r alot of wires and junk under that faring .if you have knowledge on wiring u can reroute new wire and make your own harness.all that junk wont fit in a roadking headlight housing. and of coarse the circuit breakers have to be rerouted. you can purchase a 3 prong pigtail for the roadking headlight from your local autoparts store. and you will loose your gauges unless you r creative enough to find a spot to mount them.i am mechanicaly inclined so my conversion i sgoing well.GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by squirlshovel
tou can do what you want obviously its your motorcycle! i have an 81 flt that i converted to a roadking . there r alot of wires and junk under that faring .if you have knowledge on wiring u can reroute new wire and make your own harness.all that junk wont fit in a roadking headlight housing. and of coarse the circuit breakers have to be rerouted. you can purchase a 3 prong pigtail for the roadking headlight from your local autoparts store. and you will loose your gauges unless you r creative enough to find a spot to mount them.i am mechanicaly inclined so my conversion i sgoing well.GOOD LUCK!
Think he might be done by now. Or have come to his senses.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I smiled when I read your post. Isn't life amusing. I just came in from the garage and finished the work on my Road King to covert it to as close to an Ultra as possible. I've got the front fairing, radio, CD, Sirius Radio, and tour pak. Just don't have all the gauges yet! I was so proud of myself. And then I read your delema. I think going from the Ultra to Road King would much more of a challenge. Predominately because of the wiring issues. Also, the upper tins and Nacelle are completely different. It would be expensive. Cost me $2K+ for my little detachable conversions, and I'm sure yours would be more. The benefit of mine is that I can go back to a Road King in about 5-7 minutes. The up side for you is that you might be able to sell the leftovers on FleaBay and compensate your losses. Good Luck, and if you go that route, please provide us with some pictures. CCRyder
Hmmm...maybe you guys should trade bikes??

Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RETRO 08
Unless you strip all the tins and fairing,and start with just the frame it will never be a road king.Why is it people buy somthing and then want it to be something else? I know how you feel but live with it and enjoy it, you are going to spend $$$$$$$ anyway you look at it.
John

[IMG]local://upfiles/1698/07509B4934E1404381CF5F1B1AA32191.jpg[/IMG]
Strip all of the tins?

The tins are the same. The difference is the wiring, the gas tank console (which includes the gauges), the fairing, the lowers, and the trunk.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Trade up/down --WHATEVER!! They are both great motorcycles...

But get a RoadKing will ya!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Ken Gapinski
1st Gear

actualy you dont need to change much i just got me a 09 road glide and like the nose also so i found a conversion kit on ebay and it is nice ( constructed very good )https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Batw...sAAOSwsB9bofAL

Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Too funny!!! I am actually quoting myself from another thread.

Ever notice that when these threads are resurrected that it is almost always by someone with an extremely low post count?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:21 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Look at my avatar (Screaming Eagle Road Glide,) and then the pic of the "Road King" featured after the rebuild caused by the wreck. I went that way because it was the least expensive way to get the bike back on the road. It can be done.

Quick Reply: Converting Electra Glide to Road King