Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the Electra Glide

Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 AM
mchaous
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the Electra Glide

Hi I have a 1992 Electra Glide. I am 5'9 1/2 I seem to have lost an inch during my life. Where did it go? anyway, I cannot quite flat foot both feet while sitting in the seat. This has caused me to drop my Electra Glide when I come to a stop on un-even pavement. I want to lower it and need advise as to front or back? which is easyer? I only need 1 inch...

How does this change the center of gravity? Does it make it lower?

Anyway things like this would help me in my deciding how and where or even if.....

Thanks everyone.......

Old 03-15-2005, 11:10 AM
FLHSbob
Cruiser
Default RE: Lowering the Electra Glide

I tried the WHite lowering kit on the rear. I didn't like it! I couldn't move the saddle bags out a reasonable distance to prevent the stock shocks from banging the inside of the bags. Tore up the fiber glass quite abit.

Am now using the HD shorter air shocks on the rear. Seems fine but even at 30+ PSI there is a tendency to bottom out ocassionally with a passenger.

Didn't touch the front.

Bob

Old 03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
FLHSbob
Cruiser

I should have mentioned above that my bike is a 92 FLHS electraglide.

Sorry.

Bob

Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HD Low profile shocks are pricey and will give you a harsh ride.
Brackets seem to be the way to go. Search arround here as its been addressed
alot.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Mchaous,

See my thread on lowering kits in the Aftermarket section. I put this kit on a 2000 Screamin Eagle Roadglide. I weight around 210 and I won't tell you what my wife weighs but it isn't that much. I can ride with no air solo with no bottoming out issues (up to 300 lbs). When I'm riding w/my wife I put 10 lbs in rear shocks. No handling problems and easy install. The kit I bought listed in my thread is very heavy duty and cheaper than the ones sold at most Harley dealers. I would suggest lowering the rear instead of the front only because of the price involved. Front kit is around $100.00 but involves several hundred in labor. 30 minute install at home with rear lowering kit (if you have a lift). I have a lot of friends w/front lowered with no complaints. The harley low profile shocks are $275.00 and ride like a log wagon. When I took off my harley low profile shocks I put the stock ones back on with the lowering kit ( 1 1/4 in) and gained 1/2 inch in lowering and the ride improved greatly. I know you will read a lot of terrible things but the owner of my local Dealership lowered his along with several other employees with no complaints.

Good luck from another short guy. Email me if you have any other questions

Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
mchaous
Cruiser

Funny I tried to get a new set of lowers for the back on the internet at Sturgis?? somethng .com. They are all out at Daytona. So I spent the extra and got it at the Harley dealer. $20.00 more but I have it tomarrow and can put it in the bike myself over the weekend.

Looks like that is what I'm going to do is lower the rear. Seems like it should be perfect for me. I only need a inch and from what I have read, it may even help lowering the gravity a little. The gravity on my bike could use a drop.....No...pun..intented.

Should be able to flat foot both feet after I get it done.

Thanks all....................

Old 03-18-2005, 01:09 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

im 5'6" i lowered mine an inch, added a corbin seat which gave me another inch or so and i still use my toes! im currently checking out ebay for some slightly used 70's style platform shoes! maybe ill let some air out of may tires!

Old 03-19-2005, 12:39 PM
mchaous
Cruiser

OK, I got the lowering kit from the Harley dealer Yesterday and installed it. Took a while only becuase I had to sit and look at how it went on! The destructions are not very well written. But I got it on and it seems to be OK. Got that extra inch I wanted. The bikes gravity seems a little lower, which makes the bike easier to handle. The ride seem good but I will have to ride it for a while to give a better opinion.

On the issue of the hard bags rubbing against the shocks. After installing the lowering kit "correctly" I was able to take a piece of paper and pass it through between the shock and the hard bags. The only thing that makes contact is the rubber ring around the shock, which seems to be there to protect the bags from the shock. I haven't tried this yet but I may.... If one was to added a couple of washers to the back frame of the hard bags..."Seems easy to do" it might bring the bags out just enough to completly clear the shocks.

I think I like this modification and will keep it as it helps with my handling.

Thanks all for your info........

Old 03-19-2005, 03:03 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike. Which Corbin seat do you have? I was under the impression that they actually raised the seat height, rather than lowering it. TIA,