Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High altitude ping and knocking

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
DanLPN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High altitude ping and knocking

I live in Colorado and my 08 ultra has had allot of pinging and knocking. The dealership has down loaded the most resent program to try and fix the problem, but hasn't done much to help it. They suggested going to a stage 1 on my bike. I had been thinking about doing this even before I started noticing this problem I have. My question is to any one living in a high altitude area that has had this pinging/knocking problem and upgraded to a stage 1. Did it solve the problem?
I tell you it really suxs cruising down the highway trying to enjoy the ride and tunes and all I'm hearing is this constant pinging noise.
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Thanks for your help....
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Dan

Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: High altitude ping and knocking

I live at 4500'.&nbsp\\; Most of my riding is higher, up to 9000'.&nbsp\\; I did a stage 1 using a PC111.&nbsp\\; Have no pinging.&nbsp\\; Also had it dynoed but with the supplied map from Fuelmoto it ran fine as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Cheyenne, just over 6,000 ft and I ride northern CO all the time. No pinging on my 08 Ultra, but then I had the stage-1 with SERT and a dyno tune done at the 1k service.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Dax4800
Advanced

Live @ 6000 ft.&nbsp\\;and I actually just got back from a trip to Denver.&nbsp\\; I have an 03 RKC w/Stage 1 and have never heard a ping.&nbsp\\; Looks like from your replies, a stage 1 kit could be your remedy.&nbsp\\; Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer

I live in Colorado as well.&nbsp\\; I have a 2007 FLHTC K&amp\\;N AC, Thunder Header True Duals, ThunderMax with Auto Tune and no pinging.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Black Flag
Tourer

I battled the ping for over a year.&nbsp\\; Cool temps, no ping.&nbsp\\; The hotter temps brought on a lot of ping.&nbsp\\; First I switched to Shell gas (recommended by a friend) That helped about half the time.&nbsp\\; Then I added a Jagg oil cooler.&nbsp\\; That took away a lot more ping.&nbsp\\; I can still get a little ping on ungodly hot days, but only if I use WOT on an uphill grade in high gear.&nbsp\\; So now I don't do that any more, and I never notice ping at all.&nbsp\\; Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Black Flag
Tourer

Oh yeah, I live in Prescott, AZ...and most of my riding is between 4K and 8K elevation.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM
tinker
Cruiser

I live near Colorado Springs - bought my bike (electra glide classic)&nbsp\\;at pikes peak HD.
&nbsp\\;
I've had NO problems with the altitude.
&nbsp\\;
When I bought the bike I also purchased intake stage 1, Rush slip ons, and download. I had to wait a week or so for the slip ons to come in, so had a chance to put about 500+ miles on it. No problems with pinging. After the install, also no problems with pinging. I had Jim @ Franktown Scooters do the 1000 mile look over, and he thought it might be running too lean. Since it's under warranty (new bike) I had PP HD verify that the mixture is ok (I got this in writing, so if I have problems there will be no problems with warranty coverage).
&nbsp\\;
Here is the strange thing.
&nbsp\\;
Twice since I picked the bike up I've ridden down to California (sea level).&nbsp\\;Down there it pops and back fires, but not back home in Colorado. I would have thought it would run BETTER at sea level.. This isn't a huge deal, but it is noticible.
&nbsp\\;
So, my guess is that your local HD dealer didn't load the correct download on your bike. Where did you buy it?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure ecactly what you mean. Mine pings after I shut it off. I did the stage 1 and think my bike runs good here in Co

Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Black Flag
Tourer

Mine pings after I shut it off.
&nbsp\\;
That's funny.&nbsp\\; Mine does too!&nbsp\\; I think that's normal.&nbsp\\; At least that's what the dealer told me.

Quick Reply: High altitude ping and knocking