Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deaccel popping solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:07 PM
ninetyfivebravo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deaccel popping solved

In August of 2007 I brought my bike, 2000 EGC, to the local HD dealer for the 7500 mile check-up and a NYS Inspection.&nbsp\\; Soon after getting the bike back deaccel popping began to occur.&nbsp\\; I rode and then put the bike up for the winter.&nbsp\\; This spring the popping was still there and occurring more frequently along with stalling coming off the line.&nbsp\\; I figured that sooner or later all HD’s get this popping and that I was getting sloppy coming off the line.&nbsp\\; Today I was cleaning the chrome cover over the front cylinder when I noticed that the sparkplug and wire were very loose.&nbsp\\; When I looked closer the sparkplug was ready to fall out of the hole.[:@][:@]&nbsp\\; I guess the HD tech was too busy to torque the sparkplug correctly last year, but they charged top dollar for the service.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I was going to complain to the dealer but I figured they would only look at me like I didn’t know what I was talking about.&nbsp\\; Next time I will try an indy.&nbsp\\; I just thought I would share this rant with everyone and share my experience so that it may help someone else out there.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Deaccel popping solved

fkn stealerships![:@]

Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can always buy a sevice manual and do the work yourself. first service saves the cost of the manual and you will know the work is done rite! plus the satisfaction of knowing what to do if a problem occurs while your friends call AAA to tow it to the dealer!!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Dogwood
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were lucky that the sparkplug hole's threads were not messed up.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I see you mentioned NYS inspection, where abouts are you ?? I'm dealing with Ithaca HD and Utica HD now trying to finalize the deal on an SG...Hope it wasn't either of them !!
&nbsp\\;
good catch on the plug and wire..

Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

It always pays to check your bike over for loose stuff every now and then. Some Harley's are known to shake a little bit.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some kids - probably put the 16yr old on your check up.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; My experience is similar - had the stealer do the value seals on my 05 Ultra - same thing when I got home - plugs were not even finger tight.&nbsp\\; Had them do a tire change - belt was like VERY loose and 20 psi in the tire.
&nbsp\\;
Like others said - get the manual and do your own service.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
rickxx
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ninetyfivebravo

In August of 2007 I brought my bike, 2000 EGC, to the local HD dealer for the 7500 mile check-up and a NYS Inspection.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Soon after getting the bike back deaccel popping began to occur.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I rode and then put the bike up for the winter.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; This spring the popping was still there and occurring more frequently along with stalling coming off the line.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I figured that sooner or later all HD’s get this popping and that I was getting sloppy coming off the line.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Today I was cleaning the chrome cover over the front cylinder when I noticed that the sparkplug and wire were very loose.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; When I looked closer the sparkplug was ready to fall out of the hole.[:@][:@]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I guess the HD tech was too busy to torque the sparkplug correctly last year, but they charged top dollar for the service.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I was going to complain to the dealer but I figured they would only look at me like I didn’t know what I was talking about.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Next time I will try an indy.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I just thought I would share this rant with everyone and share my experience so that it may help someone else out there.
&nbsp\\;
the dealer would probably tell ya "they all do that" [:@]

Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Timex
Tourer

A service manual and some very basic tools will save you dollars in the long haul. Do your own basic stuff, and know it was done right, or at least how it is described in the service manual. Get familiar with your bike, it could save you a lot of grief&nbsp\\;should you break down. Time for new plugs ???

Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 PM
porkster
HDF Community Team
Received 198 Likes on 143 Posts

Always good to check your bike at the dealer before you leave after having a service done!!!!! I live in AZ and at my 1000 mile service they underfilled the engine oil by 1/2 qt. and had the clutch cable so tight you could hardly pull in the clutch,after my 2,500 mile service decided to change the tranny oil to mobil 1 75/90 and discovered both drain plugs were only finger tight. What sucks is I paid for the three year unlimited service plan in my finance. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Quick Reply: Deaccel popping solved