Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
drbillk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Line

So, I just had a repeat problem with my 2004 fuel-injected Ultra.&nbsp\\; Curious if anyone else has had this issue.&nbsp\\; With around 11,000 miles on the bike, it started running bad while on ride back from Sturgis to Maryland.&nbsp\\; Would stop for gas and run great for about 70 miles, then it'd start missing and carrying on.&nbsp\\; Gas up again... good to go for another 70 miles.&nbsp\\; Turns out it was the internal fuel line from the pressure regulator to the quick disconnect on the tank.&nbsp\\; Apparently, it rubs on the tunnel inside the tank and wears through.&nbsp\\; Well, now with 56,000 miles on the bike, it did it again... would run great for about 110 miles then start acting up.&nbsp\\; Sight unseen, bought a new line and fuel filter... replaced it last night and sure enough... there were 2 holes worn through.

My local dealer says they've never heard of it before.&nbsp\\; Of course, the first dealership was in Ohio and the guy just happened to know because he'd fixed the same thing a week before my visit.&nbsp\\; Fortunately, he also had an extra line in stock.&nbsp\\; If the bike is missing, back firing, detontates, stalls at lights... doesn't run smooth... but, then is better (but not necessarily perfect) with a full tank of gas you might want to consider this as a possible issue.&nbsp\\; Any one else seen this happen?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Line

something else to look out for it never stops !!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Had the same issue with my 04 Roadglide, climbing a hill on rt 40 outside of Fredneck MD and the bike just died. Towed in, internal fuel line was the issue. Never had another problem after that.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 PM
azmarc
Stage II

I just had that same problem on my '02 Road Glide. I had ridden from Phx to R.I. The day before I got to R.I. the bike started misfiring &amp\\; running rough when it got low on fuel. The problem did go away when I filled up. I got to R.I. on a Friday &amp\\; had scheduled an appointment (for the next day,&nbsp\\;Saturday)&nbsp\\;3 weeks earlier to take it to a local dealer for maintenance after riding that far &amp\\; knowing I had to ride all the way back. When I fired it up that morning it wouldn't idle. I had to crack the throttle to keep it running whenever I came to a stop. The dealer changed the plugs, etc. but couldn't find the problem right away. It took them 5 days to find that the same hose you are talking about had gone bad. I was told by the dealer that the hose goes porous after a while &amp\\; develops pinholes &amp\\; it's&nbsp\\;a common problem (I think that if it was that common, they would have found it sooner). They&nbsp\\;replaced the hose &amp\\; I rode all the way back to Phx without a problem (6.5K miles total). The Road Glide had about 26K miles on it when this happened. I got the bike in '05 with about 9400 miles on it. After what the dealer said I just made a note to change it out @ about 20-25K miles just to not be caught off guard.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-19-2008, 06:30 PM
drbillk
Tourer

The hose doesn't become porous... it gets rubbed through because of bad design.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Is the hose P/N 62228-03?
I just got off the phone with my local HD parts guy and he&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;said the hose should be inspected when doing the filter.
Going to order one along&nbsp\\;with a filter kit.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
drbillk
Tourer

Think replacement with filter is smart... annoying though.&nbsp\\; We're talking $3 piece of plastic... ends up costing over $100 for all parts!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Common problem that the hoses get pin holes in them.&nbsp\\; One problem was the length of the hose, since been upgraded and corrected.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any dealer that says they never heard of it must have their head up their butt so it muffles the sound.

It has happened to at least 6 people I ride with and it is mainly due to the line rubbing against the tunnel in the fuel tank. Not hard to replace, just time consuming.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

The 2007 Touring service manual specifically addresses inspecting this hose and making sure of routing to prevent this problem when changing the fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Fuel Line