Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide and pc III

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:59 PM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road glide and pc III

I installed my PCIII on my bike last night and just had time to ride about 1/2 mile around the block before the nightly thunder storms started.&nbsp\\; I guess I did it right because the bike runs all right.&nbsp\\; When I got home from work today, the storms started up again. (northeast Florida) I'll have to warm it up good and take it for a good test ride in good weather to really check it out.&nbsp\\; I do have a question though.&nbsp\\; I got the unit from Fuel Moto and it came with plugs to bypass the o2 sensors.&nbsp\\; I installed them as per the directions.&nbsp\\; The question is: Is this a fuel moto thing or does the installation of a Power Commander always call for the o2 sensors to be over-ridden?&nbsp\\; BTW the bike has the 103 inch SE kit with the flat top pistons and&nbsp\\;255 cams.&nbsp\\; Also Rush slip-ons with 2 1/2 inch baffles.&nbsp\\; And, of course, the opened up air cleaner with the appropriate backplate.&nbsp\\; Fuel moto said that they installed just the right map for my application.&nbsp\\; I'm hoping for good things.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: road glide and pc III

That's a pretty common thing for several fuel managment devices.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Not just a Fuel Moto thing.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I took off a DFO and replaced with a PCIII and both used O2 eliminators.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; V&amp\\;H Fuelpak does not use the eliminators.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Just depends on the manufacturer.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:31 PM
ultralongridesoreass
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes, you have to plug the o2 sensors to override the puter. Bought my pc111 from moto also. Now go to the PC website and download a good program as the moto program is a canned program amd not much too it.
My ultra runs awesome now!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:35 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ultralongridesoreass

yes, you have to plug the o2 sensors to override the puter.
... Now go to the PC website and download a good program as the moto program is a canned program amd not much too it.
It is not that you are overriding the computer with the sensor eliminators so much as simply leading it to believe that it does not have to auto-tune because its calculations are correct. You then change the injector timings after its done with them.

There is a fair chance that if you go to avoid the canned map from fuelmoto by getting a canned map from powercommanders awful website that you will be getting a canned map provided to them by fuelmoto.

One thing to be very aware of is that if you have been running with modifications to the system that were not properly accounted for in the ECU at the time and you were running it normally with its O2 sensors, you will either need to get a custom map made on a dyno or you will absolutely have to have your stock ECU AFVs reset. You can do that one of two ways. Either with a Digital Technician at an H-D shop or by installing the exhaust and airbox for which your ECU was properly programmed and run it in closed loop for a short while. Then you can put all the goodies back on at once and be good to go. If you have it done at a D/T-equipped shop you will be okay to ride away so long as you have the O2-eliminators in place, thus preventing the AFVs from changing again.

Jamie (at fuelmoto) says the AFVs are not that important but I am here to tell you they can turn a filet mignon into a pile of manure before it even gets tasted, let alone digested. If you want to see for yourself it is as simple to do as to put your O2 sensors back into service for even just a few minutes with the PC-III doing its thing. Then try going open-loop and feel the pain of a totally incorrect situation.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
mduggan
Cruiser

The weather broke and I got to do a test ride.&nbsp\\; Did about 25 miles and had flashes of awesome performance.&nbsp\\; Also had some serious flat spots.&nbsp\\; Rolling on the throttle from about 70mph to speeds I won't talk about&nbsp\\;in top gear nets a very rough and slow acceleration.&nbsp\\; But, accellerating hard in first through third pulls noticably harder than before the PCIII.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;What this says to me is, take it to a dyno and have a trained tuner finish the job.&nbsp\\; Am I wrong here?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

No you are not wrong. Just have your AFVs reset before the tune so that you can share the map with anyone else who has those mods and their AFVs reset. It will at least stand a good chance of being very close then for them.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM
mduggan
Cruiser

Thanks man,&nbsp\\;I appreciate the advice.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 AM
ultralongridesoreass
Cruiser

Thanks Glens, I'm new here, but think you know something I sure don't! Can you explain the procedure step by step for me?
Ok, I put on my PC last year. Ran ther moto canned map, it sucked. Don't get me wrong, I like Jamie. Rode down to his shop in Neenah and talked with him face to face.
I had major ping and rattle. So I contacted PC and they zipped me a retune map to ride piggyback on my pc111. Ran extremely well. Then I downloaded a advanced map for my V &amp\\; H, airfilter, etc. Had timing and fuel for both cylinders. And it runs awesome noe except my fuel mileage is about 40 verses my buds new 08 which he got 52 last weekend on the same ride.
So if I put the stock pipes back on, stock cleaner, o2 sensors and run the bike for a few miles and then pull the 02's and put the bike back to the way it is now, it will run way better?
I don't know all there is to know about this so your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks man

Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 AM
ultralongridesoreass
Cruiser

I want to add that when i got the zipped addon from pc, the tech told me it was like getting a ecu reburn. All I do know is that the bike stopped ping and rattle and runs great other than the mileage being just ok. But I also have to run high octane since I pulled my V &amp\\; H and went back to SE pipes. with the V &amp\\; H's I could run regular gas, but now only premium. Thanks man

Old 06-28-2008, 01:29 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

It sounds like what you downloaded was a newer firmware, which in fact is the operating system for the PC (or just a different set of parameters for the internal operating system same difference for what we are talking about).

You can, last I knew, pull into a H-D shop and have them hook up their Digital Technician and reset the AFVs to 100%. You can get it close-enough to that by installing all the OEM parts for which your computer is flashed and ride it that way under normal conditions for fifteen minutes or so. Would not hurt to make it an hour if you really, really want to be sure it gets nestled properly into place. Then, no matter how you have it configured or what other parts you have installed, do not run the engine further without the O2 eliminators in place. That will keep the AFVs from changing to a place you do not want them from that point forward.

Quick Reply: road glide and pc III